The Buccaneers are making a push to re-sign fullback Erik Lorig, tweets Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. The strong blocker has opened up holes for Doug Martin and the club’s other running backs and can also pitch in at tight end (link). La Canfora still expects the unrestricted free agent to test the open market, but he could still wind up back in Tampa Bay even if he does (link). More from around the NFL..
- The Saints have had discussions with tackle Zach Strief, wide receivers Joe Morgan and Robert Meachem, and linebacker Parys Haralson, and now we can add another name to the list. Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune reports that New Orleans has also engaged in early discussions on a new deal with safety Rafael Bush.
- There’s a healthy market forming for Packers free agent tight end Jermichael Finley, who is coming off of injury, La Canfora tweets. A longterm deal doesn’t seem all that likely but he could do well on a one or two year pact.
- Todd Archer of ESPN.com (on Twitter) senses that the Cowboys will not restructure Brandon Carr‘s contract because they don’t want to push money into future caps.
- Reuben Frank and Jeff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com look at 28-year-old safety Chris Clemons as a possibility for the Eagles. Mosher writes that he wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Clemons winds up in green.
- The Giants and safety Stevie Brown have talked about a new deal, agent Blake Baratz tells Ed Valentine of Big Blue View.