News broke earlier tonight that Darrelle Revis will be joining the Patriots, and Albert Breer of NFL.com has a couple of interesting notes on the big move. According to Breer, nothing prevents the Patriots from franchising the corner in 2015 (via Twitter). Revis’ tag for 2015 would be $14.4MM, a 20% raise on his current salary, but that may be moot, since the Patriots hope to lock up the ex-Buccaneer to a long-term deal after a “feeling-out period,” Breer says in another tweet.
More news from around the AFC East…
- The Jets never engaged in any substantive conversations on Revis, tweets Brian Costello of the New York Post. General Manager John Idzik never even got the opportunity to talk to Revis’ camp.
- Furthermore, Jets head coach Rex Ryan wanted to “badly” bring back the cornerback, tweets Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. Mehta adds that the decision was “over his head.”
- Shelley Smith is meeting with the Patriots after he left New York without a deal from the Giants, tweets Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Thomas adds that Smith also has a visit scheduled with the Dolphins.
- With Revis’ deal taking up $12MM of the Patriots‘ ~$17MM cap space, Vince Wilfork has to restructure his contract or seek employment elsewhere, opines Ben Volin of the Boston Globe (via Twitter).
- Specifics for Randy Starks‘ contract from Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald (via Twitter): $2MM signing bonus, $3MM guaranteed base in 2014, $5MM in 2015 with $2MM in incentives. Those incentives kick in if the Dolphins win 10 games and Starks plays 65% of the snaps.
Zach Links contributed to this post.