While the Titans may not be committed to Jake Locker as their quarterback of the future, the team is unlikely to consider the position with their first-round pick, writes Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com. Even if the Titans were to have their choice between Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, and Johnny Manziel, Kuharsky believes none of those three would be in the top 11 on their board anyway. The team is much more likely to see what it has in Locker, and possibly look for a quarterback later in the draft to serve as a backup or eventual replacement option down the road.
Here are some other notes from the AFC South:
- Kuharsky also writes that although Mike Evans (wide receiver out of Texas A&M) could be the best player available when the Titans are called up on draft day, the team would be hesitant to take him due to their depth at the position. The team sees Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Nate Washington, and Dexter McCluster as a strong group, and may be reluctant to add to it with such a high draft pick.
- The Colts will not have any interest in the recently released DeSean Jackson, writes Mike Wells of ESPN.com. The team may have considered him had they not already added Hakeem Nicks earlier this offseason.
- Speaking about Nicks’ long term future, Wells wrote that if he succeeds this year, he could see the Colts giving him a long-term extension to keep him as one of Andrew Luck‘s weapons going forward, joining him with T.Y. Hilton, Coby Fleener, and Dwayne Allen.
- While Alex Mack still remains a possibiliy, the Colts are not expected to make him a substantial offer, writes Wells. He believes the team is comfortable entering the season with Phil Costa and Khaled Holmes competing to start at center.
- Despite notions that the Texans might be willing to move down in the draft, Daniel Kim of NFL.com writes that currently Jadeveon Clowney is the favorite if they keep the first overall pick. NFL Network’s Kurt Warner says that Clowney is still a better option than Manziel, and Kim notes that four out of six NFL.com mock drafts have the Texans taking the pass rusher.