It’s been another busy day for the NFL hot stove, with the franchise tag deadline having passed by earlier this afternoon. You can check out our recap of 2014’s franchise and transition tags right here, but for now, let’s round up a few items that may have otherwise fallen through the cracks….
- While the Broncos haven’t approached Peyton Manning about restructuring his contract yet, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that the team has “a few million reasons” to do so at some point this offseason.
- Free agent linebacker D’Qwell Jackson won’t visit with the Vikings, so he’s unlikely to sign with the team, tweets Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities. However, Wolfson also adds in a separate tweet that free agent defensive end Everson Griffen “badly” wants to return to Minnesota, and talks are ongoing between the Vikings and his reps.
- Even if they’re able to bring back center Alex Mack and safety T.J. Ward, the Browns will still have plenty positions of need when free agency begins, as Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com details. After using their transition tag on Mack, the Browns appear likely to keep the standout center, but perhaps not their safety.
- Brian Orakpo, who was franchised today by the Redskins, tells Mike Jones of the Washington Post that while he still hopes to get a long-term deal done, he’s happy to take a step forward rather than remaining in a stalemate with the team.
- Michael Vick, Eric Decker, and Aqib Talib are among this offseason’s most notable “buyer beware” free agents, opines K.C. Joyner of ESPN.com (Insider link).