The Cowboys are interested in re-signing free-agents-to-be Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer, but Dallas isn’t the only team with interest in the defensive linemen. According to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, the free agent duo has at least seven interested suitors, including the Cowboys. Dallas is also interested in defensive tackle Henry Melton, according to Watkins (Twitter link), but the ESPN scribe cautions that there are no assurances of a deal, given the Cowboys’ limited cap space.
Here’s more from around the NFC, with free agency less than 24 hours away:
- The Lions continue to work hard on a new deal for restricted free agent running back Joique Bell, and hope to get something done before free agency begins tomorrow, tweets Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.
- The Vikings have inquired about free agent defensive lineman Lamarr Houston but he’ll probably wind up elsewhere, tweets Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN. Wolfson adds in a second tweet that the team has kicked the tires on defensive tackle Vance Walker as well.
- Packers free agent Jermichael Finley has yet to receive medical clearance, but nonetheless has visits lined up with potential suitors this week, tweets Tom Pelissero of USA Today.
- Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report views the Redskins as the best potential fit for prospective free agent Darren Sproles, though he says the Patriots could be a dark horse.
- The Bears aren’t currently considering free agents Jairus Byrd or Michael Johnson, according to Patrick Finley and Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Jason La Canfora’s latest article at CBSSports.com includes plenty of interesting tidbits on free agents. Among them: The Buccaneers may release Jeremy Zuttah this week, and are focusing on signing Anthony Collins. La Canfora adds that the Packers are “very high” on free agent defensive lineman Arthur Jones.
- The door isn’t completely closed on center Jonathan Goodwin winding up back with the 49ers, a source tells Larry Holder of The Times-Picayune (Twitter link). Holder opines that Goodwin would be a good fit with the Saints also if Brian De La Puente leaves.
Zach Links contributed to this post.