In this week’s chat, a reader asked Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News if the 49ers would accept a deal in which they trade Aldon Smith and their first-round pick (No. 30) to the Cowboys for their first-rounder (No. 16). Machota says he’s not sure if the Niners would, but he doubts Dallas would have interest in such a deal because of Smith’s multiple legal issues over the last couple of years. The Cowboys need some pass rushers, but they’re probably more comfortable finding them through the draft. Here’s this afternoon’s glance at the NFC East:
- Josh Freeman isn’t getting the big bucks in his new deal with the Giants, but he will have the opportunity to learn from Eli Manning, writes Jordan Raanan of NJ.com. The former Bucs QB also took the high road when asked about his experience with coach Greg Schiano.
- Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has met with the Eagles, a source tells Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post. The safety, who is the top-ranked defensive back in the draft, declared early for the draft after recording 52 tackles, two interceptions and six pass deflections in 11 games last season. He was named a second-team All-American and a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection for his outstanding play.
- Northern Illinois defensive tackle Ken Bishop has met with the Cowboys, a league source tells Aaron Wilson. As previously reported, the All-Mid-American conference selection has visited the Raiders, Jaguars, and Dolphins. Bishop projects as a later-round pick.
- Giants safety Antrel Rolle told Bob Papa and Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio (audio link) that the team needed serious change this offseason. The veteran went on to say that he wants to end his career as a member of the Giants and says he’s easily got four or five more good seasons left in him, tweets Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.
- Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report (on Twitter) asked a scout via text if the Cowboys would draft Johnny Manziel if he was available at No. 16 and the scout responded “Of course [Jerry Jones] would.“