Sunday Roundup: Garoppolo, Steelers, Boyd

It’s been a fairly slow Sunday morning as beat writers continue to evaluate how new draftees are faring in rookie minicamps, but let’s take a look at some other noteworthy tidbits from around the league:

  • Mike Jones of the Washington Post writes that, of all the undrafted rookies the Redskins signed, BYU WR Cody Hoffman might be the one to watch.
  • Dave Spadaro of looks at the Eagles‘ depth chart at wide receiver behind the top four of Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews, and Josh Huff. Spadaro also notes that there is no news on potential roster additions at this time.
  • John Glennon of The Tennessean looks at four undrafted wide receivers that could make an impact on the Titans this season.
  • The Jaguars are the only team that has just one quarterback with regular season experience on its roster, but Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union expects the club to add a quarterback with some such experience before the end of offseason workouts.
  • Although Mike Reiss of believes the Patriots drafted Jimmy Garoppolo as a possible successor to Tom Brady down the road, he believes “Garoppolo’s presence is closer to 80 percent about filling the No. 2 role set to be vacated by Ryan Mallett (likely in 2015) at more manageable rookie financial rates, with the other 20 percent or so tied to possible succession plans.
  • Ben Volin of The Boston Globe, meanwhile, thinks the Patriots definitely had Brady’s heir apparent in mind when they drafted Garoppolo, and Volin examines the similarities in the skillsets of the two quarterbacks.
  • Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that, although it wasn’t that along ago that even top draft picks were not expected to make an immediate impact on the Steelers‘ defense, new draftees Ryan Shazier and Stephon Tuitt might be expected to inject their blend of speed and athleticism on the team’s defensive unit right away.
  • Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post writes that the Jets may use newly-drafted Tajh Boyd as a running back or in the Wildcat, a prospect that does not enthuse Boyd. However, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that rumors concerning Boyd’s move to another position is “premature.”
View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.