Titans‘ quarterback Jake Locker has been underwhelming in his short career, and how he plays this year will determine his future with the team. If he continues to disappoint, rookie Zach Mettenberger could be an option, writes Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com. Even still, Mettenberger will likely have to compete for the starting job going forward into 2015, even if Locker is not retained.
Here are some other notes from around the NFL:
- Titans‘ head coach Ken Whisenhunt says there is a possibility that the team only keeps four receivers on the roster. That leaves Michael Preston, Brian Robiskie, Marc Mariani, and Derek Hagan fighting for just one spot, writes Kuharsky.
- New Raiders‘ receiver James Jones is ready to step up and become the top receiver for his team, writes Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com. “I’m trying to prove something everyday, not only to the coaching staff, but to the entire league,” Jones said. “I’ve got a little chip on my shoulder, and I’m trying to prove it to the world to the league everyday that I can be a No. 1 receiver, that I can be one of those receivers that’s talked about in the National Football League.”
- The 49ers‘ just unveiled their new football stadium, and already are being forced to pull up the turf and replace it, writes Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. The grass proved to cause problems during the second half of their 34-0 loss to the Broncos on Sunday, but will be resodded in time for their preseason game against the Chargers this coming Sunday.
- With plenty of NFL stars still hoping for contract extensions, Ari Nissim of the National Football Post looks at ten who could be in line for new contracts sometime this season. The list is full of the league’s top receivers and pass rushers, as well as Chiefs‘ quarterback Alex Smith.
- With all the fines coming down this preseason, NFL fans can freshen up on the rules surrounding these fines thanks to Brian McCarthy of the league office (via Twitter).