If Jameis Winston goes No. 1 to the Buccaneers, expect the Titans to receive a flurry of offers at No. 2, suggests CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora. The NFL insider anticipates the Rams, Browns, Eagles, Chargers and Saints to consider making a move for Marcus Mariota.
Armed now with the Seahawks‘ No. 31 pick in addition to their own at No. 13, the Saints may be in the last year of Drew Brees‘ tenure and could continue their makeover offseason with a move for the Oregon spread prodigy, La Canfora muses, and he notes the Chargers at No. 17 could be in the same boat with Philip Rivers, whose deal expires after 2015.
Some other notes from an extensive day of draft rumors …
- In case Tampa Bay has an 11th-hour change of heart, Tennessee will prepare by hosting Winston on a private workout around Winston’s pro day (March 31), 247Sports reported. Mariota is due to visit the Titans in April.
- Armed with possibly the worst tight end situation heading into free agency, the Falcons added two former starting tight ends to their corps today in Jacob Tamme and Tony Moeaki. But they also worked out the draft’s top tight end, Minnesota’s Maxx Williams, earlier this week, according to ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure. A pass-rusher remains the priority at No. 8, notes McClure, but the Falcons have also worked out Michigan’s Devin Funchess — a tight end/wide receiver hybrid.
- Florida State cornerback P.J. Williams worked out for the Lions today, Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com reports. Williams, who NFL.com’s Mike Mayock lists as the fourth-best corner in the draft, watched tape with Lions coaches during his visit.
- The Patriots met with Stanford defensive tackle David Parry after the Cardinal’s workout today, Draftinsider.net’s Tony Paulie notes on Twitter.
- West Georgia rising defensive line prospect Tory Slater will visit the Falcons and Seahawks, National Football Post writer Aaron Wilson said. Slater, who had 10 sacks last season and played wide receiver in high school, will tour the Falcons’ facilities April 7 and trek to Seattle on April 16.
- Utah cornerback/safety Eric Rowe will visit the Ravens, Dolphins and Lions and conduct private workouts with the Texans and Bucs, according to Wilson, writing this report for the Baltimore Sun. Neither Rowe nor Slater are top-10 prospects at their respective positions according to ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr.