TUESDAY, 3:37pm: It will be a five-year deal for Franklin, according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego (via Twitter).
MONDAY, 6:47am: Franklin has told people that he’ll leave the Broncos and sign a five-year deal with the Chargers, sources tell Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (Twitter links). When it gets finalized, Franklin’s deal will come in at close to $36.5MM, with $20MM guaranteed, says Schefter.
SUNDAY, 11:20pm: According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post (Twitter link), the deal Franklin is expected to sign with the Chargers is worth $7.2MM per year, with $14MM in guaranteed money. Based on those figures, it sounds like it’ll be a four- or five-year pact.
4:36pm: A deal between free agent offensive lineman Orlando Franklin and the Chargers is “unofficially done,” a source tells Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune (Twitter link). If correct, the contract would presumably be finalized on Tuesday when the new league year begins.
The 27-year-old Franklin has spent the first four years of his career with the Broncos, playing right tackle from 2011-13 before moving to left guard last season. With D.J. Fluker manning the right side in San Diego, Franklin would stay at guard, replacing either Chad Rinehart or Johnnie Troutman, both of whom struggled mightily in ’14, at either left or right guard. Franklin excelled in his positional transition, finishing as the league’s 13th-best guard according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required).
The Chargers have already made one move to solidify their offensive line in recent weeks, agreeing to a four-year extension with left tackle King Dunlap. Adding Franklin, PFR’s No. 25 free agent, would only improve the line even more. San Diego could probably use more help at guard, however, and center could also be upgraded, though Chris Watt was serviceable in limited playing time last year.