Earlier today, the Eagles reached agreement on a deal with the 2014’s rushing leader, DeMarco Murray. The Eagles have been aggressively revamping their roster over the last week and the addition of Murray gives them major star power in their backfield after dealing LeSean McCoy to the Bills. Here’s a look at some of the reactions and fallout from the Murray deal..
- Murray was offered a deal very heavy on incentives that would have maxed out at an average of $8MM per year from another team, so it’ll be interesting to see what kind of incentives he got in Philly, Albert Breer of NFL.com tweets.
- Meanwhile, the fate of Ryan Mathews lingers. The Raiders and 49ers are the teams to watch when it comes to the former Bolts back, Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network tweets.
- The Eagles’ deal with Murray was considerably head of the Cowboys offer in terms of average, guarantee, incentives, and more, Ed Werder of ESPN.com tweets.
- One source told Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com (on Twitter) that it was the Eagles who asked if Murray could talk with coach Chip Kelly on Wednesday. That helped to bump up an already strong offer that was in place. It was widely reported that Murray was doing most of the campaigning to make a union between him and the Eagles happen.
- With Murray out of the picture, Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com cautions Cowboys fans not to expect Adrian Peterson to walk through the door.