As previously reported, Dante Fowler Jr. visited the Buccaneers, and Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reports that Tampa Bay GM Jason Licht “really likes” the Florida pass rusher. However, Fowler himself seems to recognize that he’s unlikely to land with the Bucs, as Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times details.
“They’re going with a quarterback,” Fowler said. “I feel like there’s no need for them to talk to me and waste my time unless something happens with Jameis [Winston] or Marcus [Mariota] or something like that. They know where they’re going. I understand that.”
While the Bucs cover all their bases, Mariota appears to be doing the same thing — Adam Schefter of ESPN.com said Thursday on ESPN 1000 in Chicago that the Oregon signal-caller recently paid a visit to the Bears. Mariota is considered the favorite to come off the board at No. 2, and may not be available when Chicago’s No. 7 overall pick rolls around, but as our Rob DiRe laid out this morning in PFR’s first 2015 mock draft, there are scenarios in which Mariota is still in play at that point. It sounds like both he and the Bears are doing their due diligence.
Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post and the Baltimore Sun has updates on several more draft prospects for us this morning, so let’s round those up….
- Cameron Artis-Payne (RB, Auburn): Met with the Patriots and Browns (link).
- Adrian Coxson (WR, Stony Brook): The Giants were “very impressed’ with him at their local prospect day (Twitter link).
- Tyler Murphy (QB, Boston College): Visiting the Steelers today (link).
- Nick Perry (S, Alabama): Had private workouts for the Patriots and Colts (link).
- Tray Walker (CB, Texas Southern): Visits with the Ravens, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks, Dolphins, and Falcons, plus private workouts with the Cardinals and Texans (link). Had a previously-reported visit with the Raiders.