2015’s most noteworthy undrafted free agent is generating plenty of headlines again today, as teams around the NFL consider making a play for him. Here’s the latest on former LSU offensive lineman La’el Collins:
- The Giants continue to monitor Collins’ situation and remain “in the mix” for the LSU lineman, a source tells Jordan Raanan of NJ.com.
- Another former LSU teammate of Collins, Panthers guard Trai Turner, is doing his best to recruit the rookie to Carolina, as David Newton of ESPN.com details. We noted below that a number of Dolphins players who used to play at LSU are also making an effort to woo Collins.
- NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy tells Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that NFL clubs are prohibited from visiting Collins at his campus or residence until final exams conclude at LSU. According to Florio, that will happen on May 9, which explains why Collins’ reps say no formal meetings are happening for now.
- According to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post, Collins’ agents are calling teams to let them know who’s in and who’s out in the race for their client. “This is a football decision and that is what we will focus on in helping La’el find the best team for him in the future,” a source in Collins’ camp tells Wilson.
- On the other hand, an Associated Press report (via The Denver Post) cites agent Deryk Gilmore as saying that his client isn’t meeting with NFL teams about his pro football future at this time. That doesn’t necessarily contradict Wilson’s report — Gilmore, Collins, and co. may simply be narrowing down their options before making formal visits. Of course, Collins also met with many teams during the pre-draft process, so he may not need to make repeat trips to some cities.
- While teams may not be officially meeting with Collins at this point, that hasn’t stopped individual players from recruiting him. According to Chad Sabadie of Fox 8 in New Orleans (Twitter link), current Dolphins – and Collins’ former LSU teammates – Jarvis Landry, Anthony Johnson, and Kelvin Sheppard are meeting with the lineman today.
- Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston is “pushing hard” for Collins to come to Tampa Bay, according to Rand Getlin of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter links). Getlin writes that the No. 1 overall pick has reached out to Collins “multiple times” over the last 24 hours to sell him on the idea of joining the Bucs.
- Earlier today, we heard that Washington isn’t expected to be a serious suitor for Collins.