Eric Weddle Won’t Attend OTAs

Chargers safety Eric Weddle won’t be in attendance for OTAs on Tuesday as he pushes for an extension, Ian Rapoport of tweets. The Pro Bowl safety aired his frustrations with the team earlier this month and it sounds like there hasn’t been much progress made, if any.

I’m not coming in anytime soon until something on their side is said,” Weddle told 1090 AM a few weeks ago. “They know where we’re at, and they obviously know their stance, so we’ll see what happens from there.”

Weddle is scheduled to make $7.5MM in base salary in the final year of a five-year, $40MM deal, making him the fourth-highest paid safety in terms of total compensation in 2015. In late April, GM Tom Telesco indicated that he wanted to work out a new deal with the veteran, though his full attention was turned towards the draft at the time.

Weddle, 30, has been the Chargers’ starting safety since 2008 and he has not missed a regular season start since the 2009 season. In 2014, Weddle racked up 114 total tackles with eight pass deflections and one interception. Pro Football Focus (subscription required) rated Weddle as the best overall safety in the NFL last season with a 18.9 overall score.

On Sunday night we learned that another NFL notable, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, will not be in attendance for the start of his team’s OTAs.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.