The original content produced by the PFR staff during the past week:
- Pro Football Rumors’ Offseason in Review series kicked off this week starting with a pair of AFC East teams. Zach Links opened the series by digging through an exciting New York Jets’ offseason and Connor Byrne went on a deep dive with the Buffalo Bills, who made a few big moves of their own, chief among them in hiring former Jets head coach Rex Ryan.
- The ongoing saga of Michael Bennett in Seattle peaked the interest of our own Dallas Robinson, who examined the back-and-forth nature of the situation. Bennett took less money a year ago when he signed a four-year contract to remain with the team, and curiously has been vocal about being underpaid throughout this offseason. Dallas comes to the same conclusion I did: Bennett is definitely underpaid but at this point, but it’s too late to do anything about it and it’s probably his own fault anyway.
- After Andrew Quarless was arrested, it seemed like a countdown clock started ticking until when he was either suspended by the league or released outright by the Packers. I took a look at some possible replacements for the team at tight end, and there isn’t much out there, so I’m forecasting a much bigger role for second-year player Richard Rodgers.
- Luke continued looking into the salary-cap numbers division-by-division, this time highlighting the largest 2015 cap numbers for the AFC North, NFC North, and NFC South.
- Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson isn’t the only member of the team in line for a big payday, and Sam Robinson looks into the possibility of an extension for linebacker Bobby Wagner. Rory Parks examined the extension candidacy of another top-flight defender in Washington’s Ryan Kerrigan, predicting he could get a contract that will pay him more than what Pernell McPhee received in free agency this past offseason.
- A number of veteran players will be released between now and the start of the NFL season, and Dallas continues his look at those candidates for release, this time focusing on the NFC East.
- In the wake of the slew of suspensions handed down in the news dump before July 4th for substance-abuse violations, Luke posed the question of which suspension would be most impactful on the field in our latest PFR Poll. Antonio Gates just edged out Sheldon Richardson and Rolando McClain to take the ignominious title.
- Our Community Tailgate series continued on with new topics this week and providing a forum for discussion. The subjects covered by Luke and Zach: