The Bears got some good news on Monday when they learned that offensive stars Matt Forte and Eddie Royal do not have season-ending injuries, as Adam Jahns of the Chicago Tribune writes. However, Forte’s MCL will rule him out for at least two weeks, according to ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen (Twitter link). So, with that in mind, the Bears are considering free agent Montee Ball, Mort says (via Twitter).
Ball, 24, has history with Bears coach John Fox from their time together in Denver. The tailback was cut loose by the Broncos in early September and has yet to find his next NFL job.
A Heisman finalist while at Wisconsin in 2011, Ball was selected by Denver in the 2013 draft, and was expected to be inserted as the starting running back in the Broncos’ high-powered offense. But, over the course of two seasons, Ball was never able to secure a role as the No. 1 back, losing the job to Knowshon Moreno in ’13 and C.J. Anderson in ’14. All told, Ball saw less than 200 carries during his time with the Broncos, and totaled less than 800 yards on the ground.
Earlier this year we learned that the Falcons and Patriots are among the clubs with interest in Ball. The Colts were also thought to be a possible fit for Ball, but they have since reunited with Ahmad Bradshaw.