AFC West Notes: Charles, Raiders, Broncos

When the 2016 season begins, Jamaal Charles will be coming off his second major knee injury, and will be on the verge of turning 30 years old, practically ancient for a running back. However, the standout running back remains under contract with the Chiefs for two more years, and he intends to come back strong for Kansas City next season, as he tells Dave Skretta of The Associated Press.

“That’s the goal,” Charles said. “I had 11 [games] left in the season when I [tore my ACL], so it’s a lot of time to come back from it. The way I’m moving, I’ll be back before the season starts. I want to be back. I want to play. I want to be out there again.”

Here’s more from around the AFC West:

  • In the wake of a Monday report which suggested that Oakland city leaders had spoken to the NFL about a possible new stadium near the Coliseum site, NFL executive VP Eric Grubman tells Matthew Artz of the Contra Costa Times that the league isn’t offering any more help to keep the Raiders in Oakland than it would to help to keep the Rams in St. Louis or the Chargers in San Diego. However, Grubman did confirm that the NFL is open to discussing the Coliseum City development with Oakland.
  • Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio said on Monday that rookie linebacker Neiron Ball, who has missed six straight games due to a knee injury, will likely land on the injured reserve list, which would open up a spot on the team’s 53-man roster. Scott Bair of has the details.
  • The Broncos had already been battling some injury issues at safety, and now will be without David Bruton for the next week or two, as Mike Klis of 9NEWS writes. Having signed Josh Bush last week to compensate for being without T.J. Ward, the club may not to add another safety this week, but that decision likely won’t have to be made until closer to Sunday.
View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.