The appeal hearing for Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. ended at about 12:25 CT this afternoon, and a decision will likely come at some point today, tweets Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. As we wait for that announcement, let’s round up some news and rumors from across the NFC…
- While there’s little question that the Saints will have to address Drew Brees’ contract in the offseason to reduce his cap hit if they want to keep him, there’s another issue in play, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). If head coach Sean Payton were to listen on other head coaching opportunities around the NFL and ultimately decided to leave New Orleans, it’s not clear whether or not Brees would still want to stick with the team for the rest of his career.
- From the Saints‘ perspective, there’s no question that the club should want Brees to return for the 2016 season, according to Mike Triplett of ESPN.com.
- In a separate Bleacher Report video, Cole echoes what CBS sideline reporter Jay Feely said on Sunday, suggesting that 49ers management would like to see head coach Jim Tomsula return for the 2016 season. However, Cole adds that a final decision has not yet been made.
- After signing a one-year contract with the Lions, defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker saw his 2015 season derailed in Week 4 by a broken fibula and dislocated ankle. However, he tells Josh Katzenstein of The Detroit News that he’s not thinking about re-entering free agency again yet, focusing instead on making sure he’s fully healthy first. “I’ve got to rehab, man,” Walker said. “I’ve got to get right.”
- Sharon Terlep of The Wall Street Journal examines the ascension of Martha Ford, who – at age 90 – has taken over a larger role in Lions ownership, representing the team in place of Bill Ford.