After giving up just a sixth-round pick in order to acquire Ryan Fitzpatrick from the Texans prior to last season, the Jets were undoubtedly pleased with the veteran quarterback’s production as he lead the club to a 10-6 record. Appearing on WFAN Friday, general manager Mike Maccagnan said that the two sides are primed to enter contract discussions soon.
“We’re going to talk to Ryan’s people here in the very near future,” said Maccagnan, per Dom Cosentino of NJ.com. “We have time, obviously, before free agency, and we really would like to get Ryan back in the fold. [Head coach] Todd [Bowles] has said that. Obviously, myself and the rest of the organization feel very strongly about this.
“I think it’s a good situation for all of us, and we just have to go through this process, and hopefully we can come to an agreement where it’s fair and everybody’s happy with it going forward.”
As Maccagnan expressed, Bowles has stated a desire to retain Fitzpatrick, and confirmed that the 33-year-old would enter the 2016 season as the club’s starter if re-signed. Free agency doesn’t begun until March 15, and while the Jets can obviously negotiate with their own players up to and after that date, Albert Breer of NFL.com reported last month that New York would probably try to work on re-signing other free agents before Fitzpatrick, because each side has a good handle on the quarterback’s value.
In his first season in New York, Fitzpatrick posted the best season his career, passing for nearly 4,000 yards and 31 touchdowns against just 15 interceptions. After earning just $3.25MM last season, the 11-year veteran should be in line for a healthy raise, and could garner $10-15MM per season.