While new Browns head coach Hue Jackson took to the podium on Wednesday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, it was new executive VP Sashi Brown who spoke to reporters on Thursday morning. Brown didn’t want to talk about quarterback Johnny Manziel, but he did address several other topics of interest. Let’s dive in and round up the highlights…
- According to Brown, there’s a spot on the roster for Josh Gordon as long as he’s doing the right things. Brown doesn’t expect to have clarity on Gordon’s status before free agency begins on March 9th, but he thinks the signs are pointing to the wide receiver being reinstated from his suspension (Twitter links via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com and Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal).
- Center Alex Mack, who can opt out of his contract anytime before March 4th, came in last week to discuss a possible contract extension, according to Brown, who believes that if Mack is going to remain in Cleveland, the two sides will probably have to work something out before that opt-out deadline (Twitter links via Cabot).
- Brown doesn’t expect the Browns to use the franchise or transition tag. If the team does use one or the other, safety Tashaun Gipson would be the top candidate, but Brown is hoping for a long-term deal with Gipson (Twitter link via Ulrich).
- The Browns met with Travis Benjamin‘s agent at the combine last night, according to Brown, who says talks between the two sides haven’t broken down (Twitter links via Cabot and Ulrich). Agent Ron Butler said earlier this week that he expects his client will reach the open market.
- Brown said today that the club apologized to pending free agents for taking a little extra time to open negotiations, since the organization spent the first part of the offseason wrapped up in a searches for coaches and front office additions (Twitter link via Scott Petrak of the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram).