Jets head coach Todd Bowles says cutting Antonio Cromartie was a “hard decision,” but the team needed to upgrade the position, as Rich Cimini of ESPN.com tweets. There’s a chance he could still return, according to the coach, but in the opinion of Brian Costello of the New York Post (on Twitter), it sounds like he has moved on from Cromartie.
Here’s more on Gang Green:
- Bowles said the team has not made a decision on the franchise tag regarding Muhammad Wilkerson, Brian Costello of the New York Post tweets. Maccagnan, meanwhile, says the organization has a good idea as to whether it will place the franchise tag on Wilkerson (Twitter link via Manish Mehta of the Daily News).
- Maccagnan claims Damon Harrison and Wilkerson are “both options” for the franchise tag, as Cimini tweets. I have a hard time imagining that the Jets would use the tag on Harrison, even though he is a very valuable nose tackle.
- Maccagnan says it’s “not outside realm of possibilities” they keep Wilkerson plus their two young defensive ends long term, but that’s a significant investment for the team (Twitter link via Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports).
- GM Mike Maccagnan says he has scheduled meetings with agents of all his free agents, Cimini tweets.
- Maccagnan says he’s looking into moves to create more cap space (link via Cimini).