AFC West Rumors: Raiders, Miller, Harris

Las Vegas’ readiness for a potential Raiders commitment was set for a pivotal month, but the status of the city’s negotiations on stadium particulars has experienced a delay. Nevada governor Brian Sandoval extended the Southern Nevada Tourism and Infrastructure Committee a two-month extension for finalizing a stadium plan, the Associated Press reports.

The committee previously faced a deadline to submit a proposal to Sandoval by the end of July, but they’ll now continue to work out details — like the site for the venue and how it will be funded — until as late as Sept. 30. After a Monday meeting, the cost for the Vegas venue appears to have risen from its initial $1.45 billion projection. That figure now hovers between $1.7 billion and $2.1 billion, per the AP report, which also said nine sites came up as locales for a potential future Raiders and UNLV stadium.

Previously, we’d heard the deadline was merely being pushed back until the end of August. But it now appears the Raiders’ season will begin without the franchise knowing if it has a viable path to Nevada.

Here’s more from some Western-stationed franchises, starting with the defending Super Bowl champions.

  • Von Miller‘s threat to sit out the season remains “very real,” Rand Getlin of hears (video link). Getlin describes some of Miller’s Broncos teammates as believing he will go through with this if he and the team cannot agree to a long-term contract by 3 p.m. on Friday. The reporter still characterizes this deal as one that will be done by Friday, however.
  • Miller, though, has not enjoyed the Broncos’ negotiating methods this offseason, and Mike Klis of 9News now isn’t so sure the sides will agree in time. “They have championship tactics,’’ Miller said, via Klis. “I don’t agree with some of the stuff they do, but obviously it works.” The Broncos have sweetened their offer to Miller. Although it remains a six-year, $114.5MM proposal, a $19MM base salary for 2019 has been moved up to be guaranteed before the start of the 2017 league year. Klis notes that Miller voicing this disapproval after the Broncos enhanced the offer doesn’t bode well, and mentions that the team’s tactics — while having resulted in many extensions during John Elway‘s GM tenure — may have played a role in driving Brock Osweiler, Julius Thomas and Elvis Dumervil out of town.
  • Using 13 past examples of players who’ve chosen to hold out, Jason Cole of Bleacher Report believes the 27-year-old Miller’s value won’t depreciate if he sits out the season. Cole uses Sean Gilbert sitting out the 1997 season as his primary example of a player benefiting because of a holdout. The Redskins defensive lineman turned down a four-year, $13MM offer from Washington and did not sign the then-$3.5MM franchise tag. Both the Dolphins and Panthers put in enticing bids for Gilbert the following year, with Carolina sending two first-round picks to Washington in 1998 and then signing him to a seven-year, $46.5MM deal. It would cost a team a first- and third-round pick — and likely a record-breaking contract — to acquire Miller in 2017 should he sit out what would be his sixth NFL campaign and be tagged again. The Broncos could still match that offer as well.
  • Chris Harris became one of those aforementioned Broncos to sign a team-friendly extension during the past few years, and he argues that Denver’s cornerback wealth helps prevent him from being universally recognized as a top-tier corner. The sixth-year player told’s Bucky Brooks that “if [Harris and Aqib Talib] were on other teams, say if I go play for the — just name a team — Jags or something like that, it’d be easy [to be the] No. 1 corner.” The two-time Pro Bowler declined to test free agency in 2015, instead signing a five-year, $42.5MM extension with the Broncos in December of 2014.
  • Signs are pointing to Eric Berry playing the 2016 season for the Chiefs on the franchise tag.
View Comments (1)
newest oldest

One comment on “AFC West Rumors: Raiders, Miller, Harris

  1. I imagine Julius Thomas probably left because of the Jaguars’ massive offer rather than Denver’s hardball tactics. And wasn’t Dumervil cut because of the whole issue with the fax machine or something like that? Something like he had a bonus coming up and failed to get the paper work to redo his contract in time so Denver cut him? Or am I thinking of a different team and Dumervil/different player all together?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 Notify me of followup comments via e-mail.