Lane Johnson became embroiled in a debate with the NFLPA regarding the nature of the 10-game suspension he faces. But the Eagles‘ fourth-year right tackle expects that ban to stick regardless, Dave Zangaro of CSNPhilly.com reports, and be out until November.
The recently extended lineman, who previously tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2014, claimed he was taking an amino acid he purchased online and the app the NFLPA provides for players to gauge whether or not a supplement will result in a positive drug test informed him he was in the clear. Standing to see the guarantees in his $56MM+ contract void if he’s suspended for a second time, Johnson asserted the NFLPA isn’t fully behind its constituents regarding this issue.
“I want that to be clear that the NFLPA does not stand up for players. They don’t check the supplements,” said Johnson, who added the Eagles probably wouldn’t test the supplement if he brought it to them for financial reasons. “They give us an app, and then when you call them and ask them if you test positive for something they approve, it doesn’t matter.”
NFLPA spokesman George Atallah denied Johnson was approved to take the supplement. The Aegis Shield app, as Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk points out, isn’t a surefire safety precaution due to supplements at times containing substances not included on the product’s label.
“We always stand up for the rights of our players,” Atallah said in a statement. “Mr. Johnson’s statements are factually inaccurate and we have been in touch with both Lane and his agent, who now understand the facts. The NFLPA does not approve any supplements or substances.”
The Eagles appear set to lose their right tackle for much of 2016 while also could be without their rookie quarterback until the regular season starts.
- Carson Wentz suffered a hairline fracture in his ribs during Philadelphia’s preseason opener and could miss the rest of the preseason, Zach Berman of Philly.com reports. The No. 2 overall pick sustained the injury on the second-to-last play of his debut outing, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com notes (on Twitter).
- Dolphins coaches have viewed Dallas Thomas‘ training camp work as superior to Laremy Tunsil‘s, hence the veteran receiving the call to start on Friday night in the team’s preseason opener, Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports. A fourth-year Fins guard, Thomas started every game last season. But Jackson writes the Dolphins shouldn’t be withholding first-team reps from Tunsil since he’s likely going to get the call there once the regular season begins.
- Miami’s brass told free agents they intended to use Cameron Wake as a pass-rush specialist this season, Jackson reports. Despite signing the 34-year-old defensive end to an extension, Wake could be set for an off-the-bench role. Dolphins staffer Nat Moore expects Jason Jones to start alongside Mario Williams. Wake is coming off a torn Achilles that resulted in him playing just seven games in 2015, the first season of Wake’s NFL career featuring fewer than 14 appearances. Wake’s started 85 of the 100 Dolphins contests he’s suited up for, including every such appearance since 2012.
- Check out the details of Tyrod Taylor‘s complex extension with the Bills.
- Patriots president Jonathan Kraft provided some detailed reasoning for why the team traded Chandler Jones.