Falcons’ Devonta Freeman Won’t Hold Out
Devonta Freeman‘s desire for a new deal is well-documented, thanks in large part to the public approach his management team has taken in the last year. However, the running back says that he won’t be a holdout this summer in an effort to spur talks. 
[RELATED: Eagles DE Brandon Graham Won’t Hold Out Either]
“I’m going to play,” Freeman said (via ESPN.com’s Vaughn McClure). “Like I said, business is going to get handled regardless of what, so I just come to work. I’m going to play regardless. I love football. I love to compete. It doesn’t matter about what I did last year, how many Pro Bowls I got, a thousand yards. I want to do it again and even get better, hopefully one day be a Hall of Famer. I want to leave a legacy. And holding out, that’s not going to leave a legacy, because if I hold out, I’m behind. I don’t want to be behind. I want to gain.”
Freeman also indicated in April that he would not stay home during offseason activities, but this is strongest assertion to date. Freeman is definitely underpaid as he’s set to earn $1.8MM in 2017, but he’ll remain solely focused on football as he gears up for the final year of his rookie deal.
“It ain’t hard at all, because I’m good,” said Freeman. “I play football because I love it. … I spoke to other guys about being in similar situations that I’m in right now. The main thing I can do right now is focus on my business, and my business is being the best Devonta Freeman I can be. And business will get taken care of outside of what I do and what I bring. I can just focus on me. When it happens, it happens. It’s going to be a surprise. I’m just patient.”
Freeman’s agent said he would be seeking “elite” money back in January and the running back himself hinted that he was frustrated about splitting carries with 2015 third-round pick Tevin Coleman. If he’s still demanding “elite” money on his next deal, that could mean something that resembles or even exceeds LeSean McCoy‘s five-year, $40.05MM deal signed back in 2015. McCoy’s yearly average of $8.01MM is second only to Le’Veon Bell‘s one-year, $12.12MM tender and his $18.25MM total guarantee is the highest of any non-rookie running back in the league.
Falcons owner Arthur Black is on record as saying that he wants to retain Freeman for years to come, so a new deal could come together this summer without any brazen tactics from the running back or his camp.
Eagles’ Brandon Graham: I Won’t Hold Out
On Tuesday, Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham reported to the Eagles’ facility amidst rumblings that he was considering some type of holdout. Moments ago, he took to Twitter to further clear the air. 
“[I’m] back in Philly and I just wanted to clear up a few things for all of our fans. I was never holding out. I was in Detroit last week spending some time with my family. I love playing in Philly, I love our fans and I love this organization. I’ve never had an issue with my contract. I don’t know where that news came from. I will be here at OTAs leading the charge and ready to get things started,” Graham wrote.
That’s about as firm of a denial as you can get and it comes on the heels of him telling a Philadelphia sports radio host that word of a holdout was “fake news.” As I explained earlier today, Graham’s deal is a heck of a bargain for the Eagles given the way he has played over the last two years, but he has made it clear that he will not stay away from practices this summer in an effort to pressure the team into giving him a new deal.
Graham’s current contract calls for him to carry a $7.5MM cap number in each of the next two seasons.
Former Pats OL Sebastian Vollmer Retires
Sebastian Vollmer is not coming back to the NFL. The former Patriots offensive lineman told SiriusXM (Twitter links) that he is enjoying post-football life and he is not planning on a return. He is currently pursuing a career in broadcasting and he proudly stated that he is down 75 pounds from his playing days. 
Vollmer, 33 this summer, was a mainstay at tackle for New England from 2009 through 2015. However, his performance dipped in ’15 as he dealt with a bad hip and he missed the entire 2016 season thanks to the ailment. In 2015, his last year in football, Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 42nd-best tackle out of 77 qualified players. That’s not atrocious by any means, but it’s a far cry from where he was in previous years. The Patriots passed on negotiating an extension with Vollmer prior to the 2016 season because of his health situation and, unfortunately, time proved them right. In March of this year, the Pats released him.
Vollmer earned a Super Bowl ring with the Pats following the 2014 season and he almost certainly has a ring for the 2016 championship as well. After seven strong seasons in the league, Vollmer is leaving the game as a champion and, of course, a multi-millionaire. We wish Vollmer the best in retirement and look forward to seeing him on TV or hearing him on the radio on Sundays.
Cards’ Deone Bucannon Has Ankle Surgery
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told reporters today that linebacker Deone Bucannon recently had ankle surgery (Twitter link via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com). Bucannon is a PUP candidate as a result, but the team hopes that he will be back by early September. 
Bucannon, 25 in August, played primarily at linebacker in 2016 after trying his hand at strong safety in the previous two campaigns. All in all, he registered 89 total tackles, two pass deflections, and one fumble recovery in 13 games before his troublesome ankle shut him down in December. The former first-round pick was ranked as the No. 34 linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus at the time of his injury, a score that was boosted a his exceptional 86.1 coverage score.
If the Cardinals are without Bucannon for an extended period of time, they may want to look into adding an experienced inside linebacker. Free agent pickup Karlos Dansby will hold down one ILB spot, but the only other true ILBs on the roster are journeyman Zaviar Gooden and former University of Arizona standout Scooby Wright. Alternatively, if the Cardinals want to fill from within, they could try first round pick Haason Reddick at inside linebacker, though he might be better suited on the outside on passing downs.
Jaguars Sign Rookie WR Dede Westbrook
Dede Westbrook has formally signed his rookie deal, according to an announcement from the Jaguars. Per the terms of his slot, the former Oklahoma wide receiver will earn $3.1MM over four years with a $676K+ signing bonus. 
Westbrook probably would have gone earlier in the draft if not for two domestic violence arrests in his past. Some teams removed him from the draft board completely, but the Jaguars apparently felt that the potential reward with Westbrook was worth the risk and PR backlash. Before the draft, one AFC area scout told Albert Breer of The MMQB that the receiver is a “degenerate” and someone that he would not consider worthy of a roster spot.
The youngster has also been knocked for his lack of size, but some see shades of DeSean Jackson in his game. The speedster undeniably impressed in his final year at OU with 80 catches for 1,524 yards and 17 touchdowns.
Westbrook is now the third member of the Jaguars’ 2017 draft class to sign. Seventh round cornerback Jalen Myrick (Minnesota) and seventh round fullback Marquez Williams (Miami) both inked their contracts earlier this month. The team still has running back Leonard Fournette, tackle Cam Robinson, defensive lineman Dawuane Smoot, and linebacker Blair Brown on the agenda. For a full rundown of which picks have signed and have not signed for all 32 teams, check out PFR’s running list.
Big Ben Was Serious About Retirement
When Ben Roethlisberger announced in April that he would be returning for another season, the news was met with eye rolls by some. Apparently, however, the Steelers quarterback was giving real thought to retirement. 
“I got to sit down and talk to him and one thing he told me is he did take it seriously,” retired offensive lineman Willie Colon told Mike Florio of PFT. “He’s dealt with a lot of injuries.”
Because the 35-year-old was giving real thought to calling it quits this spring, it seems very possible that he could be in the same position next offseason. Roethlisberger has taken tons of big hits over the years and he might prefer to spare his body in order to get the most out of his post-football life. Colon personally believes that Roethlisberger can be coaxed into at least one additional season if the Pittsburgh offensive line can protect the pocket.
Roethlisberger has missed six games over the last two seasons, but he’s still producing at a high level. In 2016, he earned his third consecutive Pro Bowl selection as he completed 64.4% of his passes for 3,819 yards and 29 TDs against 13 picks. The Steelers went 10-4 in games with Big Ben as the starter.
In a league where it’s hard to find a good quarterback, the Steelers hope that Roethlisberger will want to play in 2018 and beyond. For now, they’re grateful to have him back for at least one more year.
Bengals CB Adam Jones Enters Guilty Plea
On Tuesday, Bengals cornerback Adam Jones pleaded guilty to obstructing official business in an incident that took place in early January. Meanwhile, the judge dismissed more serious charges against the player formerly known as Pacman, meaning that he will avoid serious jail time. 
[RELATED: Bengals Sign First-Round Pick John Ross]
“I truly apologize for what I did, my actions. I’m trying to get better every day,” Jones said (Twitter link via Terry Helmer of WCPO).
Initially, Jones was charged with three misdemeanors and a felony after a late-night dustup. The cornerback allegedly assaulted a man by “pushing and poking” him in the eye. Then, he refused to stop when ordered to and he refused to enter the cop car as he kicked and head-butted officers. Then, when he arrived at jail, he allegedly spit on a nurse, which landed him the felony charge of “harassment of a member of the medical staff in the justice center with a bodily substance.” Despite all of that, Jones was sentenced only to time served, which amounted to two days in jail.
Jones is pretty much in the clear when it comes to legal ramifications, but it seems likely that he will face discipline from the league office. Bengals GM Mike Brown indicated back in March that the team will stand by the embattled veteran.
Brandon Graham Reports To Eagles
It doesn’t sound like Brandon Graham is planning a holdout this offseason. The Eagles defensive end reported to the team facility this morning, as Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com writes. He also spoke with Howard Eskin of 94WIP on Tuesday and referred to rumors of a holdout as “fake news.” 
[RELATED: Coach Doug Pederson Not Worried About Graham Holdout]
Graham is in the middle of a four-year, $26MM contract signed with the Eagles in 2015. In the last two years and particularly in 2016, he has outperformed his deal. Graham would probably like to be paid near the top of the DE market, but he doesn’t have a ton of leverage in that regard since he still has two years to go on his pact. A holdout, in theory, could put some pressure on the team, but the 29-year-old seems prepared to play out 2017 with a cap number of $7.5MM.
As Shorr-Parks notes, the additions of first round pick Derek Barnett and free agent Chris Long could impact Graham’s stat line which, in turn, could impact his bottom line. The advanced metrics portrayed Graham as one of the best edge defenders in the entire league last season, but he only had 5.5 sacks on the year. If his snap count goes down, his sack total might also sag. Without gaudy totals on his traditional stat sheet, he might not have enough juice to get a big extension next offseason.
Raiders’ Aldon Smith Not Close To Return
It doesn’t sound like we’ll see Aldon Smith reinstated anytime soon. The linebacker has said that he’ll be back soon, but sources close to Smith say that he has made no consistent effort to follow the program laid out for him by the league, sources tell Jason Cole of Bleacher Report (video link). Those who know him best say that he’ll have one great week followed by a week of the same old problems. 
Smith’s camp was pushing for reinstatement late last season, but commissioner Roger Goodell decided to table that discussion until March 2017. In between December and March, Smith found himself under police investigation for an alleged domestic violence incident and in a separate incident was arrested for crashing into a police cruiser while driving drunk. Those events put up major barriers between Smith and a potential return and it sounds like he’s only setting himself back further with his erratic behavior.
Prior to the draft, GM Reggie McKenzie indicated that the Raiders were not banking on having Smith return in 2017.
“Our thought process is on the draft and not considering Aldon at this point,” McKenzie said. “He’s still on the suspension list, so we’re not considering him at this point.”
Browns Meet With CB Jason McCourty
Former Titans cornerback Jason McCourty had dinner with Browns coaches and brass on Monday night, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. McCourty is visiting Cleveland’s facility today and will also take a physical. 
McCourty will be 30 years old when the 2017 season gets underway, and there are certainly reasons to be concerned about his recent level of play. Last year, McCourty finished out as just the 55th ranked cornerback in the league, per Pro Football Focus, so while he was still a viable starter, the Titans were probably right in thinking that he wasn’t worth his $7MM base salary. Additionally, McCourty has been banged up in recent seasons. He played through shoulder and chest ailments last year while groin surgeries caused him to miss a dozen games in 2015.
Still, he was excellent from 2010-13 and he was one of the league’s more secondary guys in the league during that time. He could provide some key veteran leadership for the Browns and maybe even recapture some of his old magic in a new environment.
The Titans cut McCourty in mid-April and several teams reportedly phoned him that same week. However, his trip to Cleveland marks his first known visit with a team since he became a free agent. One report indicated that a one-year deal with a maximum of $2MM – similar to the pact Leon Hall inked with the Giants last season — could be a likely outcome for McCourty.
The Browns added a cornerback in the fourth round of the draft when they tapped Houston’s Howard Wilson, but he might be done for the season after suffering a painful knee injury. As it stands, Joe Haden (who is coming off of a down year) and Jamar Taylor are the projected starting cornerbacks.
