Panthers Sign Nine To Futures Contracts

With their season now officially over, the Panthers have begun to take care of 2015 business by signing the majority of their practice squad to reserve/futures contracts. Per a team release, nine of the 10 players that finished the season on Carolina’s taxi squad have now been locked up to new deals. And according to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (via Twitter), wide receiver Stephen Hill, the one player who hasn’t signed, is expected to do so tomorrow.

Here’s the list of players the Panthers signed today:

The Panthers previously signed guard Tyronne Green and tight end Mike McNeill to reserve/futures deals.

Panthers Notes: FAs, Newton, Hardy, Carter

Speaking to the media today, Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman indicated that his team will have a little more flexibility to spend in free agency this offseason, likening last year’s approach to FAs to shopping “in the dollar store,” writes Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. However, while the GM said Carolina may “move up in class” in 2015’s free agent market, that came with a caveat: “I said we’re going to move up in class, I didn’t say we’re going to go out and spend big money on a player.”

Let’s round up a few more Panthers-related items…

  • According to Person, Gettleman didn’t sound particularly enamored of Byron Bell‘s play at left tackle in 2014, suggesting that could be a position the team looks to improve: “Byron showed flashes. It’s about consistency. I give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt, it was his first year playing there. But I think we’ve shown if a player shows up that we think is going to make us better, we’re going to go get him.”
  • Gettleman referred to Cam Newton as the Panthers’ franchise quarterback and wants to lock him up with a long-term contract, but declined to go into any details on extension discussions between the two sides, says Person.
  • Gettlemen also shot down any speculation on Greg Hardy‘s situation, saying there’s nothing to discuss until his domestic violence trial is adjudicated. Asked whether a player’s history of domestic violence would dissuade the Panthers from signing him, Gettleman conceded, “It would be something that you’d have to really think about.”
  • CFL receiver Duron Carter has a visit to the Panthers on his schedule for Wednesday, and could still visit the 49ers, Browns, and Titans after that, tweets Ben Goessling of ESPN.com. We heard last week that the Vikings are the frontrunners for Cris Carter’s son, with the Colts strongly in the mix as well.

 

FA Notes: Welker, Panthers, Lions, Eagles

Let’s look at some news regarding free-agents-to-be…

  • Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker told reporters, including Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post (on Twitter), that he’s not sure if he wants to return to the Broncos next season. “I don’t know. There’s a lot of things I need to figure out,” the veteran said. Back in November it was reported that several former teammates would like to see him walk away from the game altogether for the sake of his long-term health.
  • Assuming the Panthers don’t pursue Greg Hardy after the completion of his Feb. 9th domestic violence trial, their biggest decision will be whether to re-sign left tackle Byron Bell, writes ESPN.com’s David Newton. Bell has had an up-and-down season, but odds are Carolina won’t find a high-level left tackle in the draft at pick No. 25. Besides, the Panthers have other needs they might want to address with their first round selection. Carolina could use a speed receiver, a return specialist, a cover corner, and a defensive lineman.
  • Stephen Hill says he’d like to return to the Panthers next year, per Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (via Twitter) Based on coach Ron Rivera‘s comments last week, it sounds like the team wants him back as well.
  • The Lions have several free agents to address, including backup quarterback Kellen Moore, who tells Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com that he’d like to return to the Motor City next season. Moore, 25, has yet to take an NFL snap.
  • The Eagles have a lot of decisions to make about their upcoming free agents. In part one of a six part series, Reuben Frank and Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com look at a handful of the Eagles – from Emmanuel Acho to Matt Barkley – who can leave this offseason.

Zach Links contributed to this post.

Coaching Rumors: Jets, Falcons, McDaniels

The Cowboys have set aside the next three days to sign head coach Jason Garrett and retain his coaching staff, as David Moore of The Dallas Morning News writes. Garrett and key members of his staff are set to have their contracts expire now that the season is over. However, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the club will not grant anyone permission to speak or interview with an interested club over the next three days unless it’s for a head coaching position. The latest head coaching news from around the NFL..

  • The Jets and Falcons are both calling Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles back for a second interview, sources tell Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The Falcons interview will take place on Wednesday, according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of The Atlanta-Journal Constitution. Bowles is believed to have a major supporter in the Falcons hierarchy in assistant GM Scott Pioli, who’s father-in-law is Bill Parcells. Bowles worked for Parcells in Dallas and Miami.
  • Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has been in high demand for some time as a head coaching candidate, but it sounds like he’ll be leaving a couple of teams disappointed. McDaniels is expected to stay with New England, according to D. Orlando Ledbetter of The Atlanta-Journal Constitution.
  • Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott will interview Wednesday with the Jets for their vacant head coach job, according to Dan Graziano of ESPN.com (via Twitter). McDermott and new GM Mike Maccagnan both have the same agent, as Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com tweets.
  • Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin has a second head coaching interview with the Falcons on Thursday, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (via Twitter).

NFC Notes: Falcons, Bowles, Newton

There is no need for the Falcons to start thinking about another kicker, regardless of Matt Bryant‘s age, writes Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap. Still, there’s plenty of work for Atlanta to do this offseason. The Falcons, he writes, should consider bringing back defensive tackle Corey Peters in 2015. He’s talented and played well when given the opportunity, though he’ll want money similar to what Tyson Jackson and Paul Soliai got. More from the NFC South..

  • Cardinals free safety Rashad Johnson has nothing but nice things to say about Falcons coaching candidate Todd Bowles. “He’s very aggressive, but at the same time, he knows how to mix it up because teams have learned that he’s a very aggressive guy,” Johnson told Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “He’s just very smart about how he brings his pressures.”
  • Panthers star Cam Newton is a quarterback worth wagering on, writes Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer. Giving Newton a ~$100MM deal would be a risk, but it’s a gamble that is worth taking in Sorensen’s view. Still, he’ll need some help in the form of a tackle (or two) and another receiver.
  • Exiled defensive end Greg Hardy left a cryptic message for his Panthers teammates on the white board, as Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer writes. Still, Panthers cornerback Josh Norman hopes Sunday was not goodbye. “A guy of that caliber, man, we need that,” Norman said. “Hands down, I would welcome that and relish the chance to play with that guy again.”

Vikings Frontrunners For Duron Carter

Former NFL wideout Cris Carter spent more than a decade of his Hall of Fame career in Minnesota, and there’s a chance his son could wear a Vikings jersey this year as well. After working out for the Vikes today, CFL receiver Duron Carter told reporters, including Mark Craig of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, that he’d love to land in Minnesota.

“I like Minnesota, I like the facilities, I like the coaches and everything,” Carter said. “It seems like things are looking up. I would say Minnesota is probably my frontrunner right now…. The Vikings are No. 1, but I might as well go around and see what everybody is talking about. I can’t sign anyway.”

Because he was on a CFL contract this year, Carter can’t officially sign an NFL contract until February 10, which is why he’s in no hurry to make any decisions. The 23-year-old, who put up 1,030 yards and seven TDs on 75 catches in 2014 for the Montreal Alouettes, has also visited the Buccaneers, Colts, and Chiefs so far, and intends to make his way to Cleveland, Carolina, San Francisco, and Washington as well. Per Ben Goessling of ESPN.com, Carter cited the Colts as another top contender for his services, and Matt Miller of Bleacher Report tweets that the Panthers could be a strong sleeper for the young wideout.

Former NFL receiver Chad Johnson, who played with Carter in Montreal this past season, told Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com (Twitter link) earlier this week that his CFL teammate is “easily a number one NFL receiver right now.” That may be setting the bar a little high, but Goessling hears that Carter could get a signing bonus in the $100K range, which would be a significant sum for an undrafted free agent.

Minor Moves: Tuesday

Here are today’s minor transactions from around the league, including 53-man roster moves by a team still alive in the postseason:

  • The Seahawks announced that they have placed defensive lineman Jordan Hill on season ending injured reserve, as Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times tweets. To fill his spot, Seattle signed safety Steven Terrell to the active roster. Jimmy Staten was signed to the taxi squad, according to Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post (via Twitter).
  • The Colts have placed guard Hugh Thornton, who started eight games for the team this year, on injured reserve, the club announced today in a press release. To replace him on the roster, Indianapolis signed running back Michael Hill, who spent time on the team’s practice squad earlier in the season.
  • Like the Colts, the Panthers are still in the playoff mix, but Carolina’s Tuesday move doesn’t affect the team’s 53-man roster — Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer tweets that the Panthers have signed tight end Mike McNeill, who was with the club in training camp, to a reserve/futures contract.
  • Former Louisville offensive lineman Alex Kupper signed a reserve/futures contract today with the Bills, according to the team.
  • The Dolphins have signed kicker Zach Hocker to a futures deal, according to a tweet from Hocker himself. Hocker was selected in the seventh round of 2014’s draft by Washington.

Minor Moves: Wednesday

Playoff teams and non-playoff teams both continue to make roster moves this week, and we’ll round up today’s minor transactions below. Here’s the latest:

  • The Jaguars signed wide receiver Arrelious Benn to a two-year deal, a league source tells Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). Meanwhile, Dan Duggan of NJ.com reports (via Twitter) that the team also signed safety Jeremy Deering.
  • Long snapper Brandon Hartson inked a futures contract with the Chiefs, according to agent Brian McLaughlin (via Twitter). Kansas City has been busy locking up players for 2015, announcing 14 reserve deals yesterday.
  • Per Oliver Thomas of PatriotsObserver.com (via Twitter), the Patriots signed three players to reserve/futures contracts today: Defensive tackle Antonio Johnson, linebacker Rufus Johnson, and running back Dion Lewis. Since New England’s season isn’t over, the team can’t yet lock up any players from its practice squad to futures deals.
  • The Saints have added another player on a reserve/futures contract, signing veteran safety Kenny Phillips today, tweets Evan Woodbery of the Times-Picayune. A former first-round pick, Phillips worked out for New Orleans in November.

Earlier updates:

  • Cornerback Roc Carmichael and guard Antoine McClain inked reserve/futures deals with the Cardinals, per Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com (Twitter link). Carmichael has spent time with the Eagles over the last two seasons, while McClain finished the 2014 campaign on the Bears’ practice squad.
  • The Panthers signed guard Tyronne Green to a futures contract for 2015, the team announced today (Twitter link). Green most recently spent time with the Cowboys, having been cut by the team in July.
  • The Bengals have placed wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher on the injured reserve list due to a concussion, according to Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer (via Twitter). While losing Sanzenbacher, who caught just nine balls this season, isn’t a significant blow for Cincinnati, the team hopes A.J. Green won’t miss this weekend’s game with a similar ailment. With the newly-opened spot on the 53-man roster, the Bengals promoted wideout Cobi Hamilton from the practice squad.
  • Offensive tackle Joe Long, the brother of Rams tackle Jake Long, has been added to the Lions‘ taxi squad, per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter link). Detroit had been carrying just nine players on its unit, so no corresponding move was required to make room for Long.
  • The Buccaneers have signed former Northern Colorado quarterback Seth Lobato to a reserve/futures contract for 2015, tweets Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times.

NFC South Notes: Mike Smith, Saints, Panthers

The Falcons have hired the Los Angeles-based search firm Korn Ferry to assist them in finding head coaching candidates, in the event that current HC Mike Smith is fired, according to Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN (Twitter link). The Jets used the same firm two years ago when they were looking for a new general manager. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com says (via Twitter) that Atlanta needs to win today and in the playoffs for Smith to keep his job, as owner Arthur Blank has been disappointed with the club’s lack of success. Here’s more from the NFC South:

  • If the University of Michigan’s pursuit of Jim Harbaugh is any indication, the school aims high when searching for head coaching hires. In fact, UM pursued Saints head coach Sean Payton for its vacancy in 2011, but nothing ever materialized, tweets Rapoport.
  • Ryan Pace, the Saints’ director of player personnel, will be on many teams’ GM short lists, according to Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune (Twitter link), who says losing Pace would be a blow to New Orleans’ front office. In fact, Pace was offered an interview for the Dolphins’ GM position last year, but the Saints declined permission, per Mike Triplett of ESPN.com (Twitter links). At the time, Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said the club denied Pace the opportunity because the club was still in the playoffs, but said he expected Pace to be hired away at some point. Rapoport identified Pace as a candidate for the Jets’ GM post earlier today.
  • Even if the Panthers lose to the Falcons today and miss the playoffs, the team is in a better place now than they were when the 2013 season ended, writes Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer. After last year, Carolina had to deal with the loss of key players such as Jordan Gross, Captain Munnerlyn, and Mike Mitchell, as well as maneuver around salary cap trouble. Now, per Sorensen, the club has acquired a stable of young players, and GM Dave Gettleman can use the free agent period to supplement his roster.

NFC Notes: Bucs, Panthers, Saints, Cutler

Wide receiver Louis Murphy agreed to a three-year extension with the Buccaneers yesterday, and the 27-year-old is thrilled to be sticking around Tampa. The former fourth-rounder said as much to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times:

“I believe in this team, I believe in coach Lovie (Smith), I believe in the organization. I believe in all the guys in that locker room, regardless of what the record says. I believe we’re going to be contenders in the future and I want to be a part of it. I want to see it turn around.”

Murphy, who currently has 31 catches for 380 yards and a pair of scores, reflected on his tumultuous tenure with the Raiders, Panthers and Giants:

“My dad always told me growing up when preparation and opportunity meets, it equals success. So this year, I wrote it on my bathroom wall. Early on in the game, you can drop a ball and say, ‘Oh, I’ll get another chance at this.’ But with the road that I’ve taken and the road I’ve had to go through, I said, ‘No, I’m not going to let anything slip through the cracks.’ And that’s the mind-set I’m going to keep from here on out.”

Let’s take a look at some more notes out of the NFC…

  • ESPN.com’s David Newton is skeptical about the return of two key Panthers (on Twitter): running back DeAngelo Williams and defensive end Greg Hardy.
  • Saints wideout Marques Colston isn’t thinking about next season. When asked by Nick Underhill of The New Orleans Advocate whether he’s consider returning for less money, the receiver responded that he’d cross that bridge when he comes to it (Twitter link).
  • The Saints will enter the offseason over the salary cap, but veteran guard Jahri Evans isn’t worried about his team’s predicament. “(The front office) will figure a way to figure it out. That’s what those guys get paid to do,” he told Evan Woodbery of NOLA.com“I don’t see myself going anywhere.”
  • The Giants have yet to reach out to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul regarding an extension, tweets ESPN’s Josina Anderson. The lack of communication is not a concern, however, and Anderson notes that the team will start the process following the season.
  • If one head coach could help turn around the play of Jay CutlerProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio believes it would be the man who drafted him: Mike Shanahan. Of course, that would depend on the Bears keeping the embattled quarterback and not shipping him off to another franchise.
Show all