NFC Notes: Lattimore, Weeden, Newton
Let’s take a look at the latest from the NFC:
- If Marcus Lattimore retires as expected, he should be able to collect on a $1.7MM insurance policy, Lattimore’s agent tells Darren Rovell of ESPN.com. The 49ers running back took out the policy during his junior year at South Carolina. Per Rovell, a standard disability policy for an athlete allows for a player to play no more than four games before deciding whether to act on the policy. Lattimore hasn’t played a single game since being drafted in the fourth round last year.
- The Cowboys decided to release veteran Kyle Orton during the offseason and roll with Brandon Weeden as their backup quarterback, and although Weeden played poorly on Sunday against the Cardinals, owner Jerry Jones doesn’t regret his choice. “I don’t second guess that at all because we lost games with those experienced quarterbacks, with the quarterbacks that were more experienced,” Jones told Todd Archer of ESPN.com. “As a matter of fact we got knocked out of the playoffs with the more experienced quarterback (Orton) last year, and so I think it’s all relevant.”
- ESPN.com’s David Newton examines whether the Panthers should act urgently in locking up Cam Newton to a long-term deal. For his part, Newton could afford to wait until next year to begin negotiations, as his current level of play doesn’t warrant the type of contract that Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton received, writes Newton.
- Washington head coach Jay Gruden told reporters, including Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com, that the club intends to activate receiver Leonard Hankerson from the PUP list this week. Hankerson, who’s averaged 34 receptions and 459 yards over the past two seasons, would presumably slot in behind DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, and Andre Roberts as Washington’s fourth receiver.
- The Patriots released defensive tackle Tommy Kelly just prior to the start of the season, which allowed the veteran to latch on with the Cardinals. He’s played well, and one Arizona assistant is glad New England decided to part ways with the 33-year-old. “Tell Bill (Belichick) I said, ‘Thank you,’ “ defensive line coach Brentson Buckner told Michael Silver of NFL.com. “Kelly’s been great for us. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
Panthers Waive Chris Ogbonnaya
6:35pm: To fill Ogbonnaya’s roster spot, the Panthers have activated receiver De’Andre Presley from the reserve/PUP list, tweets Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun.
6:06pm: With DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart now healthy, the Panthers have trimmed their running back corps by waiving Chris Ogbonnaya, according to Adam Caplan of ESPN (Twitter link). The 28-year-old signed with Carolina on September 29, so he spent just over a month with the club while its starters recovered from various injuries.
A 2009 seventh-round pick, Ogbonnaya has made several stops around the NFL during his six-year career, spending time with the Rams, Texans, and Browns before joining the Panthers. His most notable duty came with Cleveland, as he rushed 130 times for 604 yards during parts of three seasons with the Browns. Ogbonnaya saw only 44 offensive snaps this season with the Panthers, but did manage to find the end zone in Week 5 against the Bears. Because he’s not a vested veteran, the Texas product will have to go through waivers before becoming a free agent.
The Panthers will go forward with a trio of Williams, Stewart, and Fozzy Whittaker at tailback, while fullback Mike Tolbert will soon return from IR-DTR. Additionally, the team now has a vacant roster spot, so we should soon see the club add a player to its 53-man squad. Carolina’s offensive line is currently decimated by injury, with Byron Bell, Trai Turner, and Amini Silatolu all dealing with health concerns, so perhaps they’ll look to add some depth along the front five.
NFC Mailbags: Bears, Packers, Vikings, Olsen
It’s Saturday morning, and that means a fresh batch of NFL mailbags from ESPN.com’s writers. Let’s start off the weekend with some interesting notes out of the NFC…
- Michael C. Wright thinks that the Bears may not be enamored with the 2015 contracts of Shea McClellin and Lance Briggs. Briggs’ injury history and McClellin’s inflated salary could make both of the linebackers release candidates.
- Rob Demovsky opines that the Packers should focus on their biggest need (inside linebacker) in the upcoming draft.
- Meanwhile, Ben Goessling believes that the Vikings should focus on middle linebacker and safety in the draft. The writer also points to wide receiver and offensive line as areas of need.
- When asked about Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula‘s job security, David Newton doesn’t give a definitive answer. However, he does question some of Shula’s play-calling, particularly his misuse of Greg Olsen.
Poll: Cam Newton’s Next Contract
Cam Newton still has one more year remaining on his contract with the Panthers, and the franchise tag ensures that Carolina wouldn’t necessarily have to extend him by the end of the 2015 season in order to keep him under club control. Still, with Newton nearing the end of his rookie deal, it seems logical that the two sides will engage in serious negotiations this offseason in the hopes of working out a long-term agreement.
Yesterday, we heard from Ian Rapoport of NFL.com that the Panthers do indeed believe Newton is their quarterback of the future, indicating that the team would like to lock him up with a new deal. However, the former first overall pick has informed the club he isn’t interested in an extension structured like Colin Kaepernick‘s new contract, which is something of a pay-as-you-go arrangement for the 49ers. While Kaepernick’s extension features a sizable chunk of salary guaranteed for injury, only $13MM+ is fully guaranteed.
A contract similar to Matt Ryan‘s current agreement with the Falcons may make more sense for Newton, according to Rapoport. It’s not clear based on his tweet whether that’s merely Rapoport’s opinion, whether that’s what Newton’s camp will be looking for, or whether both Newton and the team are open to such a structure. But it’s worth considering the differences between Ryan’s and Kaepernick’s deals, which aren’t far off in terms of years and overall value.
Kaepernick’s six-year contract has a base value of $114MM, good for $19MM annually, but again, only about $13MM of that total is guaranteed, meaning the Niners could cut ties in a year or two without being on the hook for much dead money. Ryan, conversely, has a five-year, $103.75MM deal ($20.75MM annually) that includes $42MM in fully guaranteed money.
Like Ryan’s deal, recent extensions signed by QBs like Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo, and Jay Cutler all included at least $38MM in guarantees, making them significantly more lucrative than the pacts signed by Kaepernick and Andy Dalton ($17MM). While Newton has been effective for Carolina since being drafted No. 1 overall in 2011, his passing numbers don’t necessarily match up with some of the most highest-paid signal-callers in the league, and as he plays out his next contract, the value he adds with his legs may diminish.
So what do you think? Is Newton really worth a deal in Ryan territory? Or does a Kaepernick-esque contract make more sense?
What sort of contract extension is Cam Newton worth?
-
A Colin Kaepernick-type deal (under $20MM annually, modest guarantees) 45% (122)
-
The Panthers shouldn't extend him at either price 36% (96)
-
A Matt Ryan-type deal (over $20MM annually, significant guarantees) 19% (52)
Total votes: 270
Minor Moves: Friday
As teams prepare to set their rosters for the weekend, the backs of 53-man rosters and practice squads will be tweaked. We’ll cover those minor transactions from around the NFL for Friday right here, with the latest updates added to the top of the list:
- Wideout Marcus Thigpen will slide into one of several open spots on the Buccaneers‘ 53-man roster, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (via Twitter), who hears from a source that Thigpen is being promoted from the club’s practice squad.
- After cutting him from the active roster earlier in the week, the Panthers have re-signed running back Darrin Reaves to their practice squad, cutting running back Tauren Poole from the unit, according to the team (Twitter link). Carolina also signed former UNC linebacker Kevin Reddick to fill out the squad.
Earlier updates:
- The Patriots have re-added linebacker Deontae Skinner to their practice squad after he cleared waivers, tweets Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. Skinner, an undrafted free agent out of Mississippi State, had been on the active roster, but was cut to make room for new signee Alan Branch. Wideout Jonathan Krause has been released from the practice squad to make room for Skinner.
NFC Notes: Vikes, McDonald, Sims, Schwartz
As we wait to see whether or not Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will be available this weekend for a showdown between two of the NFC’s top teams – Dallas and Arizona – let’s check out a few Friday afternoon items from across the conference….
- Since Vikings practice squad Chandler Harnish was injured in practice this week, the team has been on the lookout for a replacement. According to head coach Mike Zimmer, three signal-callers worked out for the club today, though he didn’t identify the players by name, per Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press (Twitter links).
- Tracey Kaplan of the San Jose Mercury News was among those reporting that Santa Clara County prosecutors are leaning against charging 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald with domestic violence. However, while the District Attorney’s office may be leaning that way, the DA announced today that no decision has been made yet, according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.
- Players who went on the IR list with the designation to return prior to Week 1 are eligible to be activated for this weekend’s contests, and while Adam Caplan of ESPN.com tweets that Buccaneers running back Charles Sims figures to come off IR tomorrow, Giants guard Geoff Schwartz won’t be activated for at least one more week, according to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News (Twitter link). Caplan adds (via Twitter) that the Bucs appear likely to promote defensive tackle Matthew Masifilo from their practice squad as well.
- While it doesn’t appear likely to happen, head coach Ron Rivera believes Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy should be reinstated by the NFL if his trial is postponed until after the season, as ESPN.com’s David Newton details.
- Given the multiple ACL injuries suffered by quarterback Sam Bradford and tackle Jake Long, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wonders whether the Rams will be able to count on either player for the 2015 season.
Greg Hardy Likely Done For Season
10:09am: Hardy will remain on the commissioner’s exempt list until his case is adjudicated, which now isn’t expected to happen until January, a league source tells Cole (Twitter link).
FRIDAY, 9:39am: A representative of the Mecklenberg County D.A.’s office tells Tom Pelissero and Jim Corbett of USA Today that Hardy’s case has not been postponed and remains on the docket for November 17. However, the USA Today duo also hears from a source that the state has postponed Hardy’s case, and office rep Meghan Cooke did acknowledge the date could be subject to change. According to Pelissero and Corbett, the difference “could be semantics,” if the D.A. and Hardy’s lawyers have been told the date will be rescheduled.
THURSDAY, 9:30pm: Jason Cole of Bleacher Report tweets that Hardy will ask the NFL to lift his paid suspension. Cole adds (via Twitter) that Hardy wants to play this season, with some members of his party agreeing and disagreeing with his sentiment.
7:14pm: Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy has been sitting on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list since mid-September, and there was some hope that he would play again this season once his mid-November trial for domestic violence was resolved. That now seems very unlikely, as sources tell ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio that Hardy’s trial has been postponed until after the season. Unless the NFL changes their policy regarding the exempt list, he won’t be allowed back on the field until the case is settled, which means his season is effectively over. Florio notes that Hardy could be pressured to accept a plea deal, but the 26-year-old would still face a punishment from the league.
Hardy’s trial was initially set to begin on November 17, during the Panthers’ bye week. There seemed to be general optimism that the Pro Bowler would be back with the team after that, as NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport tweets that Hardy was “confident he would be found not guilty” and would play again this season.
However, there were whispers that some in Hardy’s camp were advising the upcoming free agent to sit out the season and avoid injuries or reduced performance. Florio counters that the defensive end will now be hard pressed to find a big contract. Either way, Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer tweets that Hardy’s career with the Panthers is likely finished.
Hardy made the Pro Bowl last season after he compiled a career-high 15 sacks, and ProFootballFocus.com (subscription required) ranked him as the second-best overall defensive end in the league. He signed a $13.1MM deal for the 2014 season.
Newton Not Interested In Kaepernick Contract Structure
2011’s first-round picks became eligible for contract extensions last offseason, and a handful have already signed new deals, including J.J. Watt, Tyron Smith, and Patrick Peterson. While No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton has yet to re-up with the Panthers, the team has made it clear it views Newton as its franchise quarterback, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. And, as Rapoport tweets, Newton has informed the club that he’s not interested in a contract structured like Colin Kaepernick‘s extension.
Kaepernick’s contract appeared on the surface to be extremely lucrative, with a base value of $114MM and substantial guaranteed money. However, most of those guarantees turned out to be for injury only, leaving the Niners on the hook initially for only about $13MM in fully guaranteed money. That gives San Francisco the opportunity to get out from the pact within a year or two without taking on much dead money, if the team so chooses.
After Andy Dalton signed a similarly structured long-term deal with the Bengals, it became fair to wonder if the next wave of QB extensions would follow the Kaepernick model. However, in my view, those were unique cases, given Kaepernick’s relative lack of starting experience and Dalton’s lack of success in the postseason. Neither player was a first overall pick like Newton or Andrew Luck, and neither player had won a Super Bowl like Russell Wilson, so it stands to reason that those three young signal-callers shouldn’t have to settle for Kaepernick-esque extensions.
According to Rapoport, Matt Ryan‘s contract with the Falcons may serve as a point of comparison for the Panthers and Newton. Ryan’s deal has a smaller overall value than Kaepernick’s, but it’s for one fewer year, and features much more fully guaranteed money — the five-year pact is worth $20.75MM annually, with $42MM guaranteed.
For now, the Panthers have Newton under contract for the 2015 season for a salary and cap number of $14.666MM, after exercising his fifth-year option. The team would also have the opportunity to use its franchise tag on him in 2016, though I’d expect both sides will be interested in working out a more permanent arrangement sooner rather than later, so perhaps negotiations will intensify during the coming offseason.
NFC Notes: Cardinals, Falcons, Giants
With less than one hour remaining until the trade deadline for 2014 passes, there’s been little Tuesday action around the league. If the Cardinals don’t make a move though, it won’t be for lack of trying, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. Somers tweets that the Cards have made “many calls” in search of a pass rusher, but haven’t had any luck so far.
Here’s more from around the NFC:
- In explaining his philosophy on roster-building to Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com, Falcons owner Arthur Blank indicated that he prefers his team to make most of its major moves in the offseason rather than during the season.
- While the Giants will miss Jon Beason, there shouldn’t be much of a step down at middle linebacker when the team plugs in Jameel McClain, writes Jordan Raanan of NJ.com. As Raanan observes, the Giants signed Beason to a three-year deal in the offseason, but given his frequent battles with injuries, the club could look to get out of the contract this winter.
- In a separate NJ.com piece, Raanan writes that the Giants don’t seem particularly interested in signing any of their players to in-season extensions. That includes top defenders Jason Pierre-Paul and Antrel Rolle, whose contracts expire at season’s end.
- According to David Newton of ESPN.com (Twitter links), Panthers coach Ron Rivera said today that placing linebacker Chase Blackburn on injured reserve was a tough move and that he doesn’t think Blackburn will require surgery on his injured knee.
Panthers Cut Reaves, Put Blackburn On IR
Facing a short week, the Panthers have made a handful of roster moves today as they prepare to host the Saints on Thursday night. The team announced today that it has signed tackle Mike Remmers off the Rams’ practice squad, promoted safety Robert Lester from its own practice squad, cut running back Darrin Reaves, and placed linebacker Chase Blackburn on season-ending injured reserve.
The Panthers are facing some injury issues on the offensive line and in the secondary, with tackles Byron Bell and Nate Chandler, and defensive backs Thomas DeCoud and Bene Benwikere all dealing with health problems to varying degrees. Those nagging injuries necessitated adding a player at each of those positions, and it makes sense that Reaves was one roster casualty — he subbed in when Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, and Mike Tolbert were are all on the shelf, but with both Stewart and Williams expected to play this week, his services aren’t required for now.
As for Blackburn, he suffered a knee injury in Week 6, and had been sidelined since then. Even when he was healthy, the 31-year-old saw a reduction in playing time this season, with Carolina relying on nickel formations more frequently. In his six games in 2014, Blackburn logged 12 tackles and forced a fumble. He’ll be eligible for unrestricted free agency at season’s end.
