Poll: Should Peterson, Hardy Play Week 3?

After last week’s Ray Rice drama led to the Ravens cutting their running back and the league suspending him indefinitely, attention has shifted this week to a pair of other cases of off-field violence involving NFL players. Adrian Peterson, who was indicted and charged with injuring a child, and Greg Hardy, who was recently found guilty by a judge of assaulting and threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend, were both inactive in Week 2.

However, Peterson has since been reinstated by the Vikings, and it sounds like the Panthers are at least considering doing the same for Hardy. The NFL typically allows for due process, waiting until cases have fully played out before announcing disciplinary measures for players. In these cases, however, while the legal process hasn’t been completed, Peterson has admitted to causing injury to his son, while Hardy has been found guilty by a judge, if not yet a jury.

Given the increased pressure on the NFL to come down hard on off-field instances of domestic violence and abuse in the wake of the Rice incident, the league appears to be mulling intervening in the cases of both Peterson and Hardy. We heard as much regarding Hardy’s case earlier this morning, and Jason Cole of Bleacher Report says the league is taking a long look at Peterson’s case as well.

The Peterson incident, which was publicly reported more recently than Hardy’s altercation, seems to be drawing more attention around the NFL and beyond, with Minnesota governor Mark Dayton suggesting today that the Vikings should have kept the running back suspended until the accusation of abuse is resolved in the legal system. Robert Klemko of TheMMQB.com and others have also pointed out that the Vikings’ call for “due process” didn’t seem to apply to less talented players previously on the roster who ran into legal troubles of their own.

What do you think? Are you fine with seeing Peterson and Hardy on the field until their cases have been closed? Or do we already know enough in both instances that their teams – or the league – would be justified in keeping them out of action for Week 3 and beyond?

Should Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy play in Week 3?

  • Neither player should play 66% (209)
  • Peterson should play; Hardy shouldn't 20% (65)
  • Both players should be permitted to play 12% (37)
  • Hardy should play; Peterson shouldn't 2% (7)

Total votes: 318

NFL Could Intervene In Greg Hardy Case

“Due process” has been a popular phrase around the NFL lately, as teams and the league opt to wait for players’ legal cases to fully play out before deciding on the appropriate penalties. That’s why the Panthers elected to let Greg Hardy play in their Week 1 game against the Buccaneers, but after deactivating the defensive end in Week 2, Carolina has yet to make a final decision on how to proceed with Hardy, who was found guilty by a North Carolina judge of assaulting and threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend.

“We’re going to have to look at things and look at what’s going on,” said head coach Ron Rivera, according to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. “We’re going to have to get a feel for some things, and, as I said, [GM] Dave [Gettleman] and the guys upstairs are going to do their due diligence in terms of looking at what our options are.”

As the Panthers consider their options, the decision may ultimately be taken out of their hands. A league source tells Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that the NFL may soon intervene in the Hardy case, electing to suspend him without pay for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

While Hardy was found guilty by a judge, the North Carolina criminal procedure allowed him to appeal that decision and receive a trial by jury, which is currently scheduled for November 17. Typically, the league and the team would wait until after that date to hand down an appropriate punishment for Hardy, but given the current climate following incidents involving Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson, the NFL and the Panthers are under increased scrutiny — seeing Hardy active in this week’s prime time Sunday Night Football game may not sit well with many fans and viewers.

A Panthers source directly involved in the Hardy situation tells Ed Werder of ESPN.com (Twitter link) that the club doesn’t know anything at this point about a potential suspension coming from the NFL.

NFC Notes: Abraham, Hardy, Lawson, Lions

As we heard when John Abraham left the Cardinals last week, Arizona’s roster exemption means the veteran defender has five days to rejoin the team or else he won’t be eligible to play this season. So it makes sense that GM Steve Keim said this morning that the club expects a decision from Abraham within “the next 24 hours,” as Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com details. If Abraham does decide to retire due to health problems, it may prompt the Cards to explore the free agent market, or perhaps promote a player from their practice squad, for pass-rushing help.

Here’s more from around the NFC:

  • While the Panthers are under scrutiny about how to handle defensive end Greg Hardy in the wake of his domestic violence incident, head coach Ron Rivera said today that the club hasn’t considered releasing him, according to Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer (via Twitter).
  • The Lions may be sending yet another cornerback to the injured reserve list, according to head coach Jim Caldwell, who indicated to reporters that he wouldn’t expect Nevin Lawson to return this season (link via Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com). Lawson, who suffered discloated toes in his left foot yesterday, could be replaced by an outside free agent or practice-squad player Mohammed Seisay, says Caldwell.
  • Caldwell also confirmed in his conversation with reporters, including Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com (Twitter link), that while he thinks Nate Freese is going to be a good NFL kicker, the Lions are considering all their options at kicker after some early-season misses by the rookie.
  • Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap takes a look at some players whose contract values increased or decreased based on this weekend’s games. In Fitzgerald’s view, DeMarco Murray and Ryan Kerrigan were among the players whose stock improved, while Robert Griffin III‘s potential for a big contract extension was diminished by his latest injury.

NFC Notes: Hardy, Palmer, Abraham, Rams

The Panthers have deactivated defensive end Greg Hardy for today’s game, reports Ed Werder of ESPN (Twitter link). Hardy is embroiled in a domestic violence case, and given the response to the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson incidents, it appears as though Carolina decided to heed public sentiment and not allow Hardy to play. The move is a little surprising, as the Panthers had insisted all week that Hardy would be active. Meanwhile, it seems the 49ers will allow Ray McDonald, also accused of domestic assault, to play tonight. Here’s more from the NFC.

  • As he continues to recover from a shoulder injury, Carson Palmer will not play in today’s game against the Giants, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (via Twitter). Backup Drew Stanton for the Cardinals. Stanton, 30, has not attempted a pass in four years, but as Robert Raiola notes (Twitter link), Stanton has earned $12.225MM since 2011.
  • John Abraham will not make a decision on retirement until the weekend is over, reports Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. The Cardinals currently have a roster exemption for Abraham; if he doesn’t return to the team by Tuesday, he will ineligible for the rest of the year.
  • The Rams have $32.5MM tied up in players on injured reserve, tweets Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap. The Chiefs are second in that regard, at $12.7MM. In a separate piece, Fitzgerald looks at which teams have lost the most cap space to IR and dead money combined, a list that the Rams once again top.

Panthers Notes: Cason, Hardy, Alexander

Panthers coach Ron Rivera has given cornerback Antoine Cason a number of second chances. It started when the talented defensive back was taken in the first round of the 2008 draft by the Chargers. Cason faced some early adversity, and Rivera, the team’s defensive coordinator at the time, was forced to make a tough decision.

“Quite honestly, I had to bench him,” Rivera told David Newton of ESPN.com.

Cason worked his way up the depth chart and ultimately started 15 games in 2010, Rivera’s last season in San Diego. The 28-year-old played in a backup role with the Cardinals last season, and Rivera inked him to a one-year deal this offseason.

Cason rewarded his coach’s faith. He finished with an interception and a team-high nine tackles in the team’s opening-day victory.

“When I watched tape on him from the [Tampa] game I saw things I really liked and remembered,” Rivera said. “Just the way he was playing with vision, the position he put himself in on a couple of his snaps.”

Cason will have his work cut out for him this weekend against Lions wideout Calvin Johnson.

“He’s definitely one of the best receivers in this league,” Cason said. “You bring your A game, play physical at the point of attack and get after it.

“That’s every time out for me, something to prove, something to prove. Never get comfortable and never get satisfied with where I am.”

Let’s take a look at some more notes out of Charlotte…

  • Newton opines that the Panthers will not miss Steve Smith, even if the wideout continues to put up big numbers.
  • Newton also thinks that defensive end Greg Hardy will not return to the team if he is found guilty in his domestic violence case. Even if he’s cleared, Newton puts the odds of a return at 50-50. Room for Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly extensions would have to be taken into consideration, as well as Hardy’s expected monetary demands (the writer suggests $15MM).
  • With all the scrutiny surrounding Ray RiceMike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com writes that the Panthers need to make a decision on Hardy. The writer ultimately believes that Rivera should deactivate the player for this weekend’s game and then study all of the information available.
  • Based on the reported changes to the league drug policy, defensive end Frank Alexander will not have his four-game suspension reduced, tweets Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer.

Extra Points: Giants, Patriots, Hardy, Rice

Steve Weatherford was out punting during the portion of Giants practice that was open to the media on Friday, writes Brian Lewis of the New York Post. The veteran had suffered a high left ankle sprain during Big Blue’s 35-14 Monday Night season-opening loss in Detroit and said that he wanted to test things out on Friday. He’s still listed as questionable, but today’s session is probably a good sign.

Nonetheless, the Giants seem to be preparing a backup plan just in case Weatherford is unable to go on Sunday. Per Field Yates of ESPN.com (via Twitter), the team has worked out punters Zoltan Mesko, Brian Moorman, and Kasey Redfern.

  • The Patriots worked out defensive tackle Fred Evans this week, as well as a handful of offensive linemen, including Conor Boffeli, Caylin Hauptmann, and Martin Wallace, according to Yates (Twitter link).
  • Despite a rumor to the contrary, coach Ron Rivera says the Panthers plan to let the legal process play out with Greg Hardy and he will not be released before there’s a resolution in the courts, tweets Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer.
  • Roger Goodell made a serious error in how he handled the Ray Rice case, but Panthers owner Jerry Richardson still has time to get it right when it comes to Hardy, writes Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer. For now the NFL and the Panthers are respecting the legal process, but they have the right to punish Hardy before things get underway in court, and Fowler thinks they should take advantage.
  • There’s a strong possibility that the NFLPA will file a grievance on behalf of Rice even without his approval, a source tells Jeff Zrebiec and Aaron Wilson of The Baltimore Sun.
  • With Josh Gordon‘s suspension set to be reduced to 10 games, it could “open a can of worms” with others who tested positive in 2013 fighting for a revised suspension, a league source tells Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer.

Luke Adams contributed to this post.

South Auditions: Bucs, Titans, Jags, Panthers

Earlier today, we passed along several updates from Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun on AFC and NFC East teams working out free agents, perhaps with an eye on signing some of them later in the season. A handful of teams in the AFC and NFC South have also auditioned players this week, and Wilson has those items as well, via Twitter. Here are the highlights:

Extra Points: Abraham, Hardy, Polamalu, Rams

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told SiriusXM that reports of John Abraham suffering from memory loss was “news to him” and the issue wasn’t discussed during their recent conversation, according to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports 1 (on Twitter). Abraham, who has more career sacks than Lawrence Taylor and is ninth on the all-time sacks leaderboard, has left the Cardinals and may never play again. More from around the NFL..

  • Even though his alleged actions took place before the NFL put the new domestic violence discipline policy in place, Roger Goodell says Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy will be subject to the new policy, writes Will Brinson of CBSSports.com. The same applies to 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald.
  • Troy Polamalu and the Steelers have had a very productive relationship together and it almost didn’t happen, as Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com writes. In the offseason prior to the 2003 season, the Steelers had their sights set on Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson. When the Cardinals, of all teams, got to him first, the Steelers turned their attention to the draft and plucked Polamalu with the No. 16 pick.
  • While the Rams are equipped with talented backups like William Hayes and Eugene Sims, the loss of Chris Long means that they’re without their top leader, writes Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. Long was placed on the injured reserve with a designation to return earlier today.
  • Jets coach Rex Ryan said today that he took Calvin Pryor in this year’s draft over Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix because the Louisville product can “knock your face in.” Clinton-Dix, meanwhile, wants it to be known that he can bring the pain as well and plans to show it. “No doubt and you’re going to see it. Week in and week out, as I get my chance to come up and make those big hits, it will happen. That time will come,” the Green Bay rookie said, according to ESPN.com’s Rob Demovsky.

Practice Squad Updates: Wednesday

We’ll track many of Wednesday’s practice squad updates right here, with the latest moves added to the top of the list throughout the day:

  • The Browns signed offensive lineman Ryan Seymour to the practice squad and released fellow offensive lineman James Brown from the practice squad to make room, according to Nate Ulrich of the Beacon Journal (on Twitter).
  • The Eagles have filled the final opening on their practice squad by signing wideout Cobi Hamilton, the team announced today (Twitter link). Hamilton was selected by the Bengals in the sixth round of the 2013 draft, but was cut by the team before this season.
  • Cornerback Onterio McCalebb and tight end Ryan Otten have joined the Bengals‘ practice squad, filling out the final two spots on the unit, according to the team (Twitter link).
  • The Panthers have brought back offensive lineman Derek Dennis for their practice squad, tweets Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. Dennis was a roster casualty when Carolina trimmed its roster down to 53 players at the end of the preseason.

NFC Notes: Long, Newton, 49ers, Giants

As if the Rams‘ season wasn’t already off to a bad enough start, with the team coming off a blowout loss at home and struggling to find a healthy and competent quarterback, the club received more bad news today. Per head coach Jeff Fisher, defensive end Chris Long will have surgery this week and will miss at least “a few” games (Twitter link).

Long left Sunday’s contest against the Vikings with an ankle injury, and according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (Twitter link), the veteran pass rusher could miss the next eight to 10 weeks. That would seem to make him a candidate for the IR list with the designation to return, and according to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams will indeed use that spot for Long (Twitter link). That would make him eligible to return to practice after six weeks and to game action after eight weeks.

As we wait to see what can go wrong next in St. Louis, let’s round up a few other Wednesday items from around the NFC….

  • According to Cam Newton, the Panthers have yet to approach him about a contract extension, which isn’t his focus right now anyway, tweets Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer. There was some speculation this week that the decision to restructure Charles Johnson‘s contract could mean the club would explore an extension for Newton sooner rather than later.
  • After cutting LaMichael James, the 49ers don’t intend to add a third running back to their roster this week, tweets Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, passing along a comment from coach Jim Harbaugh. It looks like San Francisco will head into Sunday’s contest with the Bears with Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde as its only active halfbacks.
  • Giants punter Steve Weatherford won’t require surgery, but he does have torn ligaments in his left ankle after being hit during a kick on Monday night, writes Conor Orr of NJ.com. It’s not clear if Weatherford will be forced to miss the team’s Week 2 game, but according Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News (via Twitter), the Giants have reached out to the agents for some free agent punters to put them on “standby,” just in case.
  • Joel Corry of CBSSports.com takes a look at some huge contract extensions signed within the last year and determines how soon teams could reasonably get away from them, if necessary. Among the deals examined by Corry: Colin Kaepernick‘s with the 49ers, Jay Cutler‘s with the Bears, and Jimmy Graham‘s with the Saints.
Show all