Extra Points: Giants, Davis, Bucs, Clabo

Giants linebackers coach Jim Herrmann believes the team may have stumbled on a true gem with fifth-round pick Devon Kennard, writes Howie Kussay of the New York Post. “I liked him on film, obviously our college scouting liked him on film,” Herrmann said. “He played at USC and he played under four different coordinators, and played four different positions, so I think he kind of got lost in the college shuffle a little bit there.” More from around the NFL..

  • Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters, including Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram (on Twitter), that a lot of the team’s “dramatic” offseason decisions freed up money that the club can use to hammer out extensions with Tyron Smith and Dez Bryant. It’s likely that Jones is referring to the situation with Kyle Orton that ended with his release earlier this month
  • According to a report from WUSA 9, former Redskins tight end Fred Davis is wanted by D.C. police for a domestic violence incident. It’s just the latest in a string of troubles for the former NFL notable who was suspended indefinitely for substance abuse and charged with a DUI over the winter.
  • Bucs GM Jason Licht says he will keep five running backs on the roster if they can help win games, tweets Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. Licht added that the team is excited about Bobby Rainey. There has been speculation that the 26-year-old, who was picked up off waivers in October of last year, was on the bubble heading into the season.
  • After Tyson Clabo was signed by the Texans, the best available right tackles in the NFL are David Stewart, Eric Winston, Tony Pashos, Jonathan Scott, Dennis Roland, and Jeremy Trueblood, opines Adam Caplan of ESPN.com (on Twitter).
  • Bears GM Phil Emery was highly complimentary of new backup quarterback Jimmy Clausen, according to Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune (on Twitter). “That’s as good of a quarterback workout we’ve seen since I’ve been here,” the GM said of the former Notre Dame QB’s June tryout.
  • The Bears put veteran tight end Travis Beckum and journeyman offensive lineman Thomas Austin through tryouts Wednesday, a source told Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. Beckum, 27, has been looking to find a home in the league after suffering a torn ACL in the Giants in their Super Bowl XLVI victory following the 2011 season. Austin has played eight games in the NFL with one start, spending time with the Colts last season. Unfortunately for both men, Biggs gets the sense that it’s unlikely either will get contract offers from Chicago.
  • Scott Brown of ESPN.com (on Twitter) is glad to see center Fernando Velasco catch on with the Panthers after the way he stepped up for the Steelers last season in the absence of Maurkice Pouncey. The 29-year-old was graded as Pittsburgh’s fourth-best lineman by Pro Football Focus (subscription required) in 2013.
  • The deal for new Lions wide receiver Reese Wiggins is a minimum salary deal for three years with nothing guaranteed and no bonuses, according to Michael Rothstein of ESPN.com (on Twitter).

Minor Moves: Seahawks, Saints, Panthers

We rounded up the NFL’s minor moves this afternoon and we’ll round up the latest here..

  • The Seahawks are set to sign wide receiver Morrell Presley, who was with them earlier this offseason, tweets Jayson Jenks of the Seattle Times.
  • Saints outside linebacker Cheta Ozougwu has cleared waivers and been placed on New Orleans’ IR, according to MIke Triplett of ESPN.com (on Twitter).
  • In addition to Fernando Velasco, the Panthers have added another former Titans lineman in Kevin Matthews, tweets Jim Wyatt of The Tennesseean. Matthews recently tried out for Miami but didn’t catch on there.
  • Defensive tackle Chris Whaley, who suffered a knee injury, has cleared waivers and reverted back to the Cowboys IR where he can rehab for the season, tweets Todd Archer of ESPN.com.
  • The Browns claimed offensive tackle Abasi Salimu off waivers from the Rams, tweets Adam Caplan of ESPN.com. The Browns also waived former Duke wide receiver Conner Vernon, according to Caplan (Twitter link). Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal (on Twitter) adds that defensive back Royce Adams and linebacker Brandon Magee have also been cut by Cleveland.
  • LInebacker Darrin Kitchens (leg contusion) cleared waivers today and is now on the Bills’ injured reserve list, tweets Mike Rodak of ESPN.com.
  • The Packers cut linebacker Shaun Lewis, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter).
  • The Cowboys cut Jarrod Pughsley from the injured reserve today with an injury settlement, according to Wilson (Twitter link).
  • The Panthers cut former University of Miami center Jared Wheeler, Wilson tweets. Wheeler was one of nine UDFAs signed by the Panthers back on May 12th.
  • The Broncos signed former Indiana kicker Mitch Ewald, Wilson tweets.

Panthers Sign Fernando Velasco

The Panthers have signed veteran offensive lineman Fernando Velasco, according to Bill Voth of the Black and Blue Review. Current Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson welcomed (and ultimately reported the signing of) his former Georgia teammate by posting a picture to Instagram.

Velasco spent 2013 with the Steelers, filling in for injured center Maurkice Pouncey. The 29-year-old was solid with Pittsburgh, as Pro Football Focus (subscription required) ranked him as the team’s fourth-best lineman. The lineman also spent four seasons with the Titans, where he consistently ranked among the team’s best linemen.

While the Panthers lack some depth at left tackle, the team instead added some depth up the middle. Velasco will back up starter Ryan Kalil, and he should also be able to adequately spot both guards positions.

NFC Notes: Orakpo, Redskins, Rolle, Panthers

Brian Orakpo‘s long-term future with the Redskins remains up in the air, but he vows not to let his contract uncertainty bother him during the upcoming season, as he tells Brian McNally of the Washington Times.

“You can talk about contracts and this and that. Throw all that out the window, man,” Orakpo said. “I’m signed for the 2014 season. I need to go out there and make plays. I need to go out there and be a force. That’s what I’ve been working extremely hard at because this defense relies on myself to go out there and make big plays so we can get off the field.”

Here’s more from around the NFC:

  • During most of his time as general manager for the Redskins and Buccaneers, Bruce Allen has shared decision-making responsibility with a head coach (Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden, respectively). However, with Shanahan no longer in Washington, the GM has “unprecedented authority to direct the franchise,” writes Jason Reid of the Washington Post.
  • Entering the final season of his five-year contract with the Giants, Antrel Rolle has yet to discuss an extension with the team, according to Tom Rock of Newsday. While Rolle would like to continue playing with the Giants beyond 2014, he acknowledges that “it’s possible” he’ll end up elsewhere, downplaying the need to focus on his contract situation at this point.
  • Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer takes a look at Charlotte native Brenton Bersin‘s quest to earn a spot on the Panthers‘ regular-season roster in 2014.

Minor Moves: Saints, Rams, Browns, Bills

The NFL’s transactions wire is picking up as we approach the end of July, with notable players like Joel Dreessen and Larry English involved in roster moves today. Several teams have finalized a series of more under-the-radar moves as well, which we’ll round up right here:

  • The Buccaneers have signed linebacker Jeremy Grable and offensive tackle J.B. Shugarts, according to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune (on Twitter). To help make room for the duo, the Bucs released cornerback D.J. Moore.
  • Former Ravens linebacker Adrian Hamilton has signed with the Chargers, according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego (on Twitter).
  • The Saints have signed nose tackle Tyrone Ezell and linebacker Marcus Thompson, clearing roster spots for the new additions by cutting nose tackle Moses McCray and waiving outside linebacker Cheta Ozougwu with a failed physical designation. The team has the details on its newest signees in a press release.
  • The Rams completed a series of roster moves today, signing four players – linebacker Pat Schiller, linebacker Lawrence Wilson, offensive tackle D.J. Morrell, and offensive tackle R.J. Dill – and cutting four others — offensive lineman Abasi Salimu, wideout Dionte Spencer, linebacker Caleb McSurdy, and linebacker Tavarius Wilson (Twitter links via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com).
  • A day after being cut by the Chargers, center Nick McDonald has been claimed off waivers by the Browns, tweets Brian McIntyre. Cleveland had an opening on its 90-man roster, so no corresponding move is necessary to make room for the offensive lineman.
  • One linebacker has been swapped for another in Buffalo, where the Bills signed Western Kentucky product Xavius Boyd to a contract after having waived-injured Darrin Kitchens, who is dealing with a lower body injury (Twitter links via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com).
  • The Texans have waived fullback Brad Smelley and defensive end Tim Jackson, and also signed tight end Chris Coyle, according to Brian T. Smith of the Houston Chronicle (Twitter links). As ESPN.com’s Adam Caplan tweets, Jackson received the “failure to disclose physical condition” designation when he was cut.
  • That “failure to disclose physical condition” designation is rarely used, but linebacker Billy Boyko also received it when he was waived by the Panthers, according to Caplan (Twitter link).
  • Caplan also tweets that former Broncos safety Eric Hagg has officially been placed on the team’s reserve/retired list. We heard yesterday that Hagg had decided to retire.

Sunday Roundup: Mauga, Peppers, AFC North

More and more beat writers are providing season previews, roster breakdowns, position battles, etc. as training opens (for one team, at least) in just a few hours. So let’s have a look at some links from around the league:

Extra Points: Brown, Cardinals, Bengals, Broncos

The NBA has seen tremendous growth in their developmental league and Ross Jones of FOX Sports argues that the NFL could benefit greatly from having one of their own. One of the questions the NFL would have to figure out, however, is exactly who would play in an NFL D-League. “You have 400 legitimate players entering the league each year, which means there are 400 legitimate players that have to leave the league each year,” agent Greg Linton said. “If a player is good, they get selected in the first through fourth rounds, so the only players that you’d be developing is seventh rounders and free agents. Is the NFL really concerned with developing that guy?” More from around the NFL..

  • The lack of guaranteed contracts has had a painful ripple effect for players, writes Jack Bechta of the National Football Post. The longtime agent says that the NFLPA has to make guaranteed contracts a top priority in the next CBA since they will take pressure off players to put their bodies at extreme risk. Guaranteed deals would also give teams incentive to give their players the best medical care possible.
  • Agent Drew Rosenhaus has officially re-signed Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown for representation, according to Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter). Brown recently fired his reps at Roc Nation Sports.
  • In the first part of a two part series, Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com looks at the top questions facing the Cardinals heading into training camp. Among the questions is whether free agent pickup Jared Veldheer will be the club’s answer at left tackle. The Cardinals gave Veldheer a five-year, $35MM contract, so the front office is obviously confident. Now it’s a matter of seeing what Veldheer can do for their blindside protection.
  • Bengals‘ seventh-round pick James Wright is one to watch, writes Coley Harvey of ESPN.com. It’s been nearly two years since the former LSU athlete caught a pass in a game, but the Bengals are hoping his special teams skills will translate into success as a wideout. “That day I talked to him and said, ‘Look, I know what you can do on special teams, now you’ve got to play wide receiver,‘” Bengals receivers coach James Urban said. “He’s embraced it, he’s worked his tail off and he’s given us [a lot]. I mean, he’s a very intense young man. He wants to prove this organization and [team president] Mr. [Mike] Brown right in selecting him.”
  • In today’s mailbag, a reader asks Mike Klis of The Denver Post if he gets the sense that GM John Elway & Co. could still have potentially one more high-profile signing up their sleeve. Klis could see the Broncos going for a veteran running back, but then again, he thought they would have added one by now.
  • After his conviction on charges of assault on a female and communicating threats, it’s unclear what Greg Hardy‘s long-term future will be with the Panthers, writes Steve Reed of the Associated Press. Hardy, who is set to hit the open market after this season, is being monitored by the NFL.

NFC Notes: Hardy, Orakpo, Boone, Suh

After being found guilty on Tuesday of assault on a female and communicating threats, Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy is currently being monitored by the NFL, writes Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com.

While Hardy was found guilty by a judge, the two-step process in North Carolina allows him to now stand trial before a jury. This is an important note – as Florio writes, the NFL usually doesn’t punish first-time offenders “until there has been a disposition of the proceeding.”

However, as the writer points out, the NFL can still do whatever it wants. Futhermore, the Panthers could decide to suspend Hardy for “conduct detrimental to the team,” allowing them to save more than $770K a week.

Let’s check out some more notes from the NFC…

  • After not signing an extension by yesterday’s deadline, Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo could be facing a make-or-break year, writes Rich Tandler of RealRedskins.com. As the writer notes, the team has done a lot to put Orakpo in a position to succeed. The Redskins added free agent pass rusher Jason Hatcher, drafted linebacker Trent Murphy and brought in coach Brian Baker to refine Orakpo’s skills. If the 27-year-old can’t succeed under those circumstances, Tandler says “there isn’t much hope that he ever will.”
  • There’s no denying that 49ers guard Alex Boone is underpaid, writes Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee. After all, the holdout candidate signed his current contract when he was a backup. However, the team could drag out negotiations by arguing that their depth, including Joe Looney and Marcus Martin, could fill in adequately.
  • The Lions still hope to sign Ndamukong Suh to an extension this offseason, writes MLive.com’s Justin Rogers. The writer takes a look at some of the most lucrative contracts signed by veteran defensive tackles and suggest a contract worth $63MM over five seasons.

AFC Notes: Texans, Chiefs, Jets, Raiders

After a four-year stint in Kansas City, Texans safety and New Orleans native Kendrick Lewis is happy to be closer to home, writes Hank Brady of The Times-Picayune. Now that he’s closer to home, he’s started a football camp for children from the area. “It’s just a blessing to be able to come out here and get with these kids from these same playgrounds, these same parks and these same high schools,” said Lewis. “This (camp) is really important. It’s something that we’ve been meaning to do for a while now.” More from around the NFL..

  • The Chiefs cut defensive tackle Risean Broussard from injured reserve, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter).
  • Seth Walder of the New York Daily News looks at five Jets players who need to perform well in training camp in order to make the roster. Stephen Hill, Tajh Boyd, Antonio Allen, Jacoby Ford and Quincy Enunwa have lots to prove, in Walder’s view.
  • The Raiders made stopgap solutions this offseason rather than look for younger players that could help them going forward, and that could wind up hurting them, writes Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz of USA Today. The new crew of veterans could create an atmosphere that attracts young talent, but if it doesn’t, GM Reggie McKenzie will have to answer for that.
  • Panthers Pro Bowl defensive end Greg Hardy was found guilty Tuesday night of assaulting a female and communicating threats, writes Steve Reed of the Associated Press. It’s unclear at this point how the verdict will affect Hardy’s long-term future with the Panthers. Hardy will play out the 2014 season before hitting the open market next offseason.

No Extensions For Brian Orakpo, Greg Hardy

While Jimmy Graham struck an 11th hour agreement with the Saints on a long-term deal, two of his fellow franchise tag recipients didn’t sign multiyear extensions in advance of today’s deadline. Instead, Brian Orakpo of the Redskins and Greg Hardy of the Panthers will play the 2014 season on one-year contracts, and will be eligible for unrestricted free agency again in 2015.

Both Orakpo and Hardy signed their one-year franchise tenders several months ago, so no further negotiations with their respective clubs are necessary this year. Orakpo, who ranked fourth among 3-4 outside linebackers in 2013 according to Pro Football Focus’ metrics (subscription required), will earn an $11.455MM salary for 2014, while Hardy, who has racked up 26 total sacks in the last two seasons, has a ’14 salary worth $13.116MM.

Orakpo and Hardy will be eligible for the franchise tag again next March, but given how pricey those tags will be, a contract extension or a trip to the free agent market appears more likely for each pass rusher. The 2014 season figures to go a long way to determining each player’s long-term future with his club, especially considering the Redskins employ two more promising outside linebackers in Ryan Kerrigan and second-round rookie Trent Murphy, while the Panthers has already heavily invested in their other defensive end, Charles Johnson.

Hardy spent most of Tuesday’s deadline day in court, where he is defending himself on misdemeanor assault charges, as Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer has been detailing on his Twitter account.

Show all