With next Tuesday’s trade deadline now just six days away, and one blockbuster trade (Percy Harvin to the Jets) already in the books, a few outlets have proposed several more league-changing deals. Greg Garber of ESPN.com, for instance, has put forth four separate trade ideas, all of which are extremely unlikely to happen, but are interesting to consider nonetheless. Garber’s proposals include sending Tom Brady to the Texans, LeSean McCoy to the Raiders, Marshawn Lynch to the Chargers, and Ndamukong Suh to the Bengals.
Here are a few more Wednesday items from around the NFL, including some more plausible trade ideas:
- Dan Hanzus, Gregg Rosenthal, and four other writers discuss trade ideas of their own in an NFL.com piece. They range from proposals we’ve heard many times before (Larry Fitzgerald to the Patriots) to outside-the-box blockbusters (Jay Cutler to the Buccaneers). Again, in all likelihood, none of these deals will happen by next Tuesday, but they’re fun to mull over, and it’s easy to see the logic behind some of them.
- With a hand from a reader of TheMMQB.com, Jenny Vrentas suggests an alternative for installing an NFL franchise in London. The idea, which includes a 19-week regular season that features 17 games and two bye weeks for each team, is “definitely something to be studied,” according to members of the league office.
- In his latest mailbag for ESPN.com, John Clayton writes that the price the Seahawks paid for what amounted to about a half-season of Harvin will revive concern around the league about trading for big-name receivers.
- Harvin’s departure from Seattle and his potential effect on Rex Ryan‘s job status with the Jets are among the topics touched upon by Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report in his latest 10-Point Stance column. Freeman also hears from NFL executives that even if Ray Rice‘s appeal is successful and he’s reinstated at some point this season, it’s extremely unlikely that any team will be signing him anytime soon. “Ray Rice will be radioactive for a long time,” one exec said.
- Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer addresses several Bengals-related inquiries in his latest piece, discussing the possibility of a free agent addition at linebacker.