New York Jets Rumors & News

Jets CB Darrelle Revis’ Hearing Postponed

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis‘ preliminary hearing on charges stemming from an altercation in which two men were knocked unconscious was originally supposed to take place on Thursday but now won’t get underway until March 15, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter links).Darrelle Revis (vertical)

[RELATED: Jets, Brian Hoyer A Match?]

The hearing’s new date is critical for a number of reasons, most of them financial and most of them negative (at least, from the Jets’ point of view). Revis is due a $2MM roster bonus on March 10, so New York won’t have any sense of Revis’ legal status before a decision is due on that payment. Moreover, free agency begins one day earlier on March 9, so Gang Green will have to wade into the open market without knowing where it stands with Revis.

Additionally, the league and/or the Jets are unlikely to levy any sort of disciplinary suspension on Revis until his case is sorted out. Revis is due $6MM in guaranteed base salary in 2017, however, so if New York releases him before a ban is enacted (and potentially wipes out his remaining guarantees), the club will be on the hook for that entire total.

From a legal perspective, the fact that Revis’ hearing is being rescheduled could mean a settlement is in the works, tweets Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. Hypothetically, a deal for reduced or dropped charges could lead the NFL or the Jets to look upon Revis with greater favor. For his part, Revis (and/or his associates) have reportedly told New York management that a member of Revis’ entourage punched the two men, not Revis himself, reports Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jets, 3 Teams Offer Deals To K’Waun Williams

The Jets have offered a contract to free agent cornerback K’Waun Williams, a league source tells Darryl Slater of NJ.com. The same source says that Williams also has contract offers from three other teams. Williams is expected to choose one of the offers later this week. K'Waun Williams (Vertical)

In addition to the Jets, Williams has also drawn interest from the Lions, 49ers, Vikings, and Dolphins. At this time, it’s not clear which of those teams have put contracts on the table. Williams, 26 this summer, could be drawn to the Jets because he grew up in Paterson, New Jersey and played at Montvale’s Saint Joseph Regional High. Ultimately, however, he’ll probably base his decision on playing time and lean towards any team willing to give him a partial guarantee on his deal.

Last summer, the slot corner was embroiled in a high-profile spat with the Browns organization. The Browns suspended Williams for “conduct detrimental to the team” when he independently decided that he could not play in the team’s first preseason game because of his ankle condition. Later, Williams had to have an operation to remove painful bone spurs and he is now pushing for the team to reimburse him for his 2016 $600K salary.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jets Could Turn To Brian Hoyer

  • While the quarterback-needy Jets have drawn connections to Mike Glennon and Jay Cutler, their best bet the open market could be Brian Hoyer on a low-cost, short-term deal, observes Rich Cimini of ESPN.com. Notably, the Mike Maccagnan– and Todd Bowles-led Jets had interest in Hoyer last spring before he signed with the Bears to back up Cutler. The 31-year-old Hoyer ended up faring well in Chicago, where he made six appearances (five starts) and threw six touchdowns against no interceptions as Cutler dealt with injuries. As was the case with Cutler, Hoyer didn’t get through the season unscathed – he went on the shelf for good in October after suffering a broken left arm.

Latest On Jets’ Darrelle Revis

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is facing four felony charges on account of a Feb. 12 altercation in Pittsburgh that left two men unconscious. Video of the aftermath, featuring those two unconscious men and an unseen man bragging about knocking them out, surfaced Sunday, via TMZ.

Darrelle Revis

“I knocked both of these (expletive) out,” said the man, who then threatened to do the same to someone else in the video.

Pittsburgh police believe the voice belongs to Revis, per a statement from the Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety (via Austin Knoblauch of NFL.com). However, Revis’ lawyers, Robert G. Del Greco Jr. and Mark Fiorilli, emphatically denied that in a statement issued to USA Today on Sunday night.

“Darrelle Revis absolutely, categorically and positively did not knock out anyone, did not conspire with anyone to commit an assault, did not say ‘shut up before I knock your ass out next,’ and surely did not ‘rob’ another of a cell phone,” the attorneys said. “The voice and admissions made on the video are NOT that of Darrelle Revis. We have no doubt but that further investigation relative to the clothing and voice verification will corroborate the above assertions.”

Revis turned himself into authorities Friday and has a hearing scheduled for this Thursday. While it’s unlikely Revis will face jail time, the NFL is “looking into” the situation and could issue him some form of punishment.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Latest On Jets’ Offseason Blueprint

The Jets are without a surefire quarterback option and are up against the cap going into the 2017 league year. But Gang Green looks to be attempting to keep some key role players.

Career swing tackle Ben Ijalana stepped into the Jets’ starting lineup last season after Ryan Clady went down, and the team is looking to retain the veteran, Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports. The Jets are also interested in re-signing UFA outside linebackers Josh Martin and Mike Catapano, per Cimini.

Martin may be a more pressing target than Catapano, with Cimini reporting the team is trying to reach an agreement with the special-teamer. The reporter adds that the former UDFA might want to test the market, though, in hopes of being able to compete for a linebacker job elsewhere.

New York could be without both starting tackles from the 2016 season. The team already passed on Ryan Clady‘s option and is expected to cut Breno Giacomini, who joined Clady on IR by season’s end. Ijalana cost just $840K on a one-year deal last year, but after making 13 starts should be more expensive due to demand, Cimini notes.

The Jets jettisoning Giacomini would save them $4.5MM but deprive them of their only tackle with significant starting experience. The 13 starts the 27-year-old Ijalana made double as the only ones in his six-year career, but the team is devoid of options heading into free agency. Clady could loom as a fallback option after the draft if the Jets are unable to land a suitable replacement, but it would be on a much cheaper deal. And it’s possible the 30-year-old Clady could be a mid-level target for another team, the now-injury-prone left tackle being a two-time first-team All-Pro.

Even after moving on from Clady, the Jets are projected to have less than $2MM in cap space. And they will likely add a veteran quarterback, being linked to Mike Glennon and Jay Cutler, so the team will have to create some additional cap space. But the free agents the team plans to retain won’t cost much.

Neither Martin nor Catapano will require a significant financial commitment, with both being career backups. Both finished up their four-year rookie contracts last season. The Jets still have Jordan Jenkins and Lorenzo Mauldin under contract. Fellow linebacker Bruce Carter also looms as a UFA, but Cimini notes there’s no urgency to get a deal done since Carter is likely looking at a veteran-minimum deal. The former Cowboys starter is entering his age-29 season.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Jets Exploring Major CB Acquisition

Which FAs Should The Jets Prioritize?

Latest On Darrelle Revis

After formally turning himself into Pittsburgh police last night, Darrelle Revis has been arraigned. The Jets cornerback received a non-monetary bond, and he’s required to appear at all future hearings (via ESPN.com’s Coley Harvey). Revis is also barred from contacting the victims or witnesses, and he has 72 hours (as of last night) to turn in his passport. Revis was previously charged with four felonies stemming from a weekend altercation.

Darrelle Revis (vertical)Meanwhile, attorney Blaine Jones has been replaced by Bob Del Greco. Harvey notes that Jones was solely being retained for pre-trial services, and the attorney told the ESPN.com reporter that Revis has “a good case,” especially if the video of the confrontation is released.

“He’s hoping he can be vindicated,” said Jones (via The New York Post). “I hope in the next phase he will be vindicated. I think he has a very good case.”

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY points out (via Twitter) that Del Greco is the same lawyer who got charges reduced for Steelers coach Joey Porter earlier this season. The attorney also played a role in getting the domestic violence charges dropped against James Harrison back in 2008.

On Thursday evening, reports came in that Revis was injured during a fight. However, we later learned that the cornerback was being charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of robbery, one count of conspiracy – aggravated assault, and one count of terroristic threat (the former four of which are felonies). More details on the altercation emerged yesterday.

League spokesman Brian McCarthy told Darryl Slater of NJ.com that the NFL is “looking into it” when asked if they were aware of the charges. Yesterday, our own Zach Links explored whether the Jets could get out of Revis’ contract.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Latest On Jets CB Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis has formally turned himself into Pittsburgh police and is set to make his initial court appearance tonight after being charged with four felonies stemming from a weekend altercation, according to Coley Harvey of ESPN.com (Twitter link).Darrelle Revis

[RELATED: Austin Seferian-Jenkins Avoids Jail Time]

The police report on the incident has shed more details on Saturday night’s affair, which seemingly began when Revis objected to being videotaped by two men, writes Rich Cimini of ESPN.com. Sometime after Revis attempted to grab of one the men’s phone, the two victims ended up unconscious — exactly who punched the men is unclear.

A witness says Revis approached the tandem with “fists clenched,” but is unsure who actually threw a punch. The entire situation is extremely murky, and as Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk notes, the details of the case make it unlikely Revis will ever serve jail time. Indeed, the charges against Revis are likely to be lessened as the legal system won’t want to invest “significant prosecutorial and judicial resources,” per Florio, who it should be noted is a former lawyer.

Even if Revis doesn’t face legal consequences, he could still face a suspension levied by either the NFL or the Jets. The more pressing question for New York at the moment is Revis’ contract, which contains $6MM guaranteed in 2017 base salary and a $2MM roster bonus due on March 10.

The Jets are investigating whether they can recoup that $6MM, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, but Revis’ contract doesn’t appear to contain language allowing the club to void the deal in the event of a felony charge. The details of Revis’ pact are just as complicated as the particulars of the criminal case, as Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com points out (Twitter link), so Gang Green’s best move may be to not wait for a legal resolution and simply proceed with business as usual, Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap opines.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Can Jets Get Out Of Revis’ Contract?

We don’t know exactly what transpired this weekend with regards to Darrelle Revis‘ incident, but we do know that he’s facing a whole heap of legal trouble. The Jets cornerback is being charged with a litany of charges including four felonies, one of which is for making a “terroristic threat.” This all comes at a time when the Jets are set to make a critical decision regarding his future with the team. Darrelle Revis (vertical)

Revis’ contract calls for him to carry a $15.3MM cap number in 2017. In a perfect world, based on performance alone, the Jets would like to rid themselves of the entire commitment and release him. However, as a part of his five-year, $70MM deal with $39MM fully guaranteed at signing, he is owed a fully guaranteed $6MM for the coming year. Could the Jets wriggle out of their commitment after Revis’ bizarre weekend in Pittsburgh?

The cornerback’s contract does not contain specific language allowing the team to terminate the deal as a result of a felony charge, according to Darryl Slater of NJ.com. However, it does state that Revis could be in default of his contract if he is “fined or suspended by the NFL or Club for Conduct Detrimental” or “fined or suspended for violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy” or “engages in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club.”

A four-felony fight would seem to fit the bill for those terms, but it ultimately comes down to a matter of timing. No punishment will be levied against Revis between now and the start of the league year on March 9, nor on March 10 when he is due a $2MM roster bonus. If the Jets were to cut Revis before any league sanctions, they’ll be on the hook for that guaranteed $6MM regardless.

In theory, one option for the Jets could hold on to Revis beyond March 9th and 10th and wait for the league to come down on Revis. At that point, the Jets could recoup the $6MM in salary and $2MM bonus. But, as Slater notes, the Jets can’t be 100% certain that Revis will be found guilty of the aforementioned charges or that he’ll be suspended by the NFL. If Revis is let off the hook by the legal system and league office, the Jets will only be compounding their problem.

I believe the Jets will play it safe and drop Revis at the start of the new league year, but for what it’s worth, Mike Florio of PFT feels the Jets could be encouraged to roll the dice if the NFL places Revis on leave while everything gets sorted out. If the league doesn’t place Revis on leave, he’ll be able to participate in the offseason program and if he gets hurt during that, his ~$15MM salary would become fully guaranteed. Again, I have a hard time seeing the Jets taking such an enormous gamble.

Cutting Revis in advance of March 9 is also not an option for the Jets. As Jason Fitzgerald of Over The Cap explained last fall, the league treats dead money from a salary guarantee differently than dead money from a bonus. If Revis were to be released before 3/9, the dead money would count against the 2016 cap rather than the 2017 cap. The Jets do not have enough room under the ’16 cap to complete that transaction.

In summation: the Jets can maybe possibly somehow someway avoid paying Revis his guaranteed $6MM, but it would require a gargantuan risk by team ownership.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.