Seahawks Rumors

Latest On DeAndre Baker, Quinton Dunbar

A cover-up attempt has surfaced in the DeAndre BakerQuinton Dunbar saga. A witness to the alleged armed robbery in May worked with Baker, along with Dunbar’s attorney, in an effort to pay off other witnesses and clear the cornerbacks of wrongdoing, according to a Broward County (Fla.) search warrant obtained by Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News.

The witness named in the warrant, Dominic Johnson, allegedly said in an Instagram direct message he “made them (witnesses) that said they got robbed come in and say them Boys ain’t have nothing to Do with it (sic).”

Video evidence of Baker, Johnson and four other witnesses’ involvement in the payoff — held at the office of Dunbar’s attorney, Michael Grieco — also exists, Leonard adds. The four victims were allegedly paid $55K total to recant their sworn statements that Baker and Dunbar took part in an armed robbery.

Baker, 22, and Dunbar, 27, remain under investigation for the alleged robbery. This certainly complicates matters for the Giants and Seahawks defenders. Dunbar had resumed offseason work with the Seahawks before they wrapped up their virtual slate, while the Giants told Baker to stay away from the team for the time being.

In May, authorities said Baker and Dunbar teamed up to rob partiers at gunpoint. The police report out of Miramar, Fla., claims that Baker had the weapon while Dunbar did the looting. Some witnesses said that Baker also directed a third man to shoot someone (ultimately, no one at the scene was shot).

The warrant indicates Baker asked Johnson how much cash he should bring for the payoff, Leonard reports. The alleged payoff occurred May 15, two days after the alleged robbery and a day before Baker surrendered to police. Another message sent from Johnson’s Instagram account indicates he convinced the other four witnesses to sign papers recanting their statements that originally led to Baker and Dunbar’s arrests, according to the warrant.

Baker has pleaded not guilty to eight felony charges; Dunbar pleaded not guilty to four. Dunbar has hired a second attorney, though Grieco is still working on the case as well.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Quinton Dunbar Hires Second Attorney

It sounds like the charges against Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar aren’t going away. Per Daniel Wallach of The Athletic (via Twitter), Dunbar has added the law firm of Michael D. Weinstein to his defense team.

Dunbar’s original defense attorney, Michael Grieco, remains on the case. Dunbar, of course, was charged alongside Giants CB Deandre Baker following an alleged armed robbery in Florida several months ago. Shortly thereafter, Dunbar surrendered to police, and at his bail review, Grieco presented five affidavits — four from alleged victims and one from a witness — recanting statements they had previously made to police. Both Grieco and Baker’s attorney have been very accommodating to media inquiries since entering their appearance and have adamantly maintained their clients’ innocence while expressing their optimism that the charges would soon be dropped.

Indeed, the fact that Dunbar was given a relatively light bond of $100K suggested to some that the state’s case was not particularly strong. But Dunbar’s decision to retain additional counsel could indicate otherwise.

Dunbar, whom the Seahawks acquired via trade with the Redskins back in March, ultimately rejoined the team for virtual offseason meetings. After a strong 2019 campaign in Washington, the soon-to-be 28-year-old was seeking a lucrative multi-year extension. It’s unclear if he would have gotten one from Seattle if not for this incident, but a solid 2020 season would have positioned him well for unrestricted free agency next year.

Now, however, his football career is in limbo, to say nothing of the impacts that four charges of armed robbery could have on his life.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Seahawks Set To Reduce Clowney Offer?

A notable development transpired in Jadeveon Clowney‘s near-fourth-month free agency odyssey Tuesday. The Browns’ Olivier Vernon restructure points to them giving the Vernon-Myles Garrett pairing another year and bowing out on Clowney. This would eliminate a high-paying suitor from the sweepstakes. The Seahawks remain in the running for Clowney, but Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times notes they are not going to offer a deal in the $15-$16MM-AAV ballpark like they did earlier this offseason. Seattle’s offer in this neighborhood occurred several weeks ago, but the team is still in need at edge rusher. Clowney now has an offer in hand from the Raiders, but they were viewed as a “distant third.” However, with the Browns perhaps out, the Raiders may have moved up to second. At just more than $13MM in cap space, the Seahawks hold more than the Raiders ($8MM).

  • Seahawks second-round pick Marquise Blair will compete with Bradley McDougald for the team’s starting strong safety job, opposite Quandre Diggs, but Brady Henderson of ESPN.com notes the second-year player is also a candidate to be Seattle’s nickel back. Blair played just 219 snaps as a rookie, though Pete Carroll said he is “very interested” in getting him on the field this season. Ugo Amadi, a 2019 fourth-rounder, will serve as Blair’s primary competition for Seattle’s nickel role. Amadi played just 76 defensive snaps as a rookie.

Antonio Brown Interested In Seahawks Deal

Russell Wilson has lobbied for the Seahawks to sign Antonio Brown, and the free agent wide receiver would not mind resuming his career in Seattle.

The duo worked out together this week, and Mike Garafolo of NFL.com reports Brown would love to play for the Seahawks (video link). Additionally, the Seahawks have engaged in internal discussions about signing Brown, per Garafolo. They are now the team most closely connected to the former perennial All-Pro.

Other teams are interested as well, per Garafolo, though it is not certain who those franchises are at this point. The team that signs Brown would need to prepare for a suspension. The NFL’s investigation into the wide receiver’s off-field issues is ongoing.

The Seahawks signed Phillip Dorsett this offseason, and he would seemingly enter camp with a good chance of winning the team’s No. 3 wideout job behind Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf. A Brown signing would shake up the Seahawks’ passing attack. The former Steelers superstar earned first-team All-Pro acclaim in four straight seasons and scored 15 touchdowns in 2018, the year his All-Pro streak ceased. Brown’s actions since Week 17 of the 2018 season have made him one of the most volatile players in modern NFL history, with the soon-to-be 32-year-old receiver burning bridges at will.

Other than the three teams that employed Brown last year, the Saints were the other known suitor. They worked Brown out late last season, but even that produced controversy. Tom Brady‘s interest in having Brown play with him in Tampa Bay is well known, but the Buccaneers are not believed to be interested. Brown has been quieter on social media in recent months, and it is starting to look like he will be given a chance to return to the league at some point this season.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Latest On Giants’ DeAndre Baker

Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker is facing serious jail time for his alleged role in an armed robbery, but his lawyer continues to insist that the charges against him will be dismissed. This week, attorney Patrick Patel told Paul Schwartz of the New York Post that he has “at least two witnesses that will testify to Baker’s innocence.

[RELATED: Baker, Dunbar Accused Of Armed Robbery]

Authorities say Baker and Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar teamed up to rob partiers at gunpoint in May. The police report out of Miramar, Florida claims that Baker had the weapon while Dunbar did the looting. Some witnesses said that Baker also directed a third man to shoot someone (ultimately, no one at the scene was shot). Together, cops say the cornerbacks made off with ~$7K in cash, a $25K Hublot watch, an $18K Rolex, and an Audemars Piguet.

Baker is facing a total of eight charges – four counts of armed robbery with a firearm, plus four counts of aggravated assault. Each of the four armed robbery charges carry a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison. Patel says the accusations against his client – a 2019 first-round pick – are without merit. Ditto for Dunbar’s lawyer. Both defense attorneys have been adamant in their pre-trial defense and very accommodating to media inquiries over the last six weeks.

The Giants have kept Baker out of their virtual offseason activities and they may ask him to stay at home once they resume on-field workouts. Meanwhile, the Seahawks have allowed Dunbar to log on for their Zoom chats.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Seahawks Eyeing WR Upgrade?

Russell Wilson has voiced support for his team taking a chance on Antonio Brown for several months, and the NFL’s new CBA would give Josh Gordon a chance at yet another reinstatement. The Seahawks may be in play for one of these high-profile targets.

A strong sense has emerged the Seahawks will take a chance to upgrade their receiving corps, Mike Garafolo of NFL.com tweets. Wilson made a plea for his team to add star power this offseason, but little has transpired on that front months later.

The Seahawks have Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf positioned as their top two receivers, and the team added Phillip Dorsett and Greg Olsen as auxiliary troops for its aerial attack. Brown would certainly change the game for Seattle and has worked out with Geno Smith this offseason, though the former All-Pro has done considerable damage to his stock over the past year and change.

A suspension remains expected for the soon-to-be 32-year-old wideout, whenever the NFL concludes its investigation. Although, Brown has been quieter on social media this offseason and appears to believe — despite the bridges he burned in Pittsburgh, Oakland and New England — he will catch on somewhere else this year. The Ravens, who employ Antonio Brown’s cousin (Marquise Brown) as their top wideout, have also been connected to the mercurial superstar.

Despite entering the NFL in 2012 as a supplemental draftee, Gordon is a first-time free agent. However, his latest suspension has him again on unstable ground regarding a return. Gordon, now 29, caught 11 passes for 139 yards in five games as a Seahawk last season. He applied for reinstatement last week.

Were the Seahawks to opt for a less risky, lower-ceiling receiver, Taylor Gabriel and Demaryius Thomas join ex-Wilson targets Jermaine Kearse and Paul Richardson in free agency.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Extra Points: Patriots, Jets, Carson

Denard Robinson is back in the NFL, this time as a coach. ESPN’s Field Yates reports (via Twitter) that the Jaguars have hired Robinson as an offensive quality control coach.

Following a standout career as Michigan’s quarterback, Robinson was selected by the Jaguars in the fifth round of the 2013 draft. The organization ended up transitioning him into a running back, and he ultimately spent four seasons with Jacksonville. His best season came in 2014, when he had 706 yards from scrimmage and four touchdowns.

The 29-year-old spent the 2019 season as an offensive analyst for the Jacksonville University football team.

Let’s check out some more notes from around the NFL…

  • While the Patriots would presumably like to sign Joe Thuney to an extension, ESPN’s Mike Reiss opines that the offensive lineman will end up playing next season on the franchise tag. As Reiss explains, Thuney has the leverage in negotiations, as he should be more-than-satisfied with his current one-year, $14.78MM deal. The reporter could see a scenario where the lineman signs a two-year deal that would buy the Patriots a bit of cap space for 2020, and Reiss believes that’s more realistic than Thuney getting traded or signing a long-term pact.
  • While Jamal Adams may already be saying farewell to some of his teammates, NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport believes the Jets will “stand pat” and let the situation play out (Twitter link). The safety has two years remaining on his contract, and that’s part of the reason why New York hadn’t felt any urgency in signing the former first-rounder to an extension.
  • Seahawks running back Chris Carson has signed with Octagon Football for representation, tweets Liz Mullen of Sports Business Daily. “From our perspective, he’s an elite running back in this league,” said agent Casey Muir. After averaging 1,190 rushing yards and eight touchdowns between the 2018 and 2019 seasons, Carson is set to hit free agency following the 2020 campaign.

Seahawks TE Colby Parkinson Suffers Injury

Seahawks rookie tight end Colby Parkinson suffered a Jones fracture in his foot, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter). The fourth-round pick broke the fifth metatarsal in his foot while route running earlier this offseason and had surgery earlier this month to correct the problem. 

Parkinson was slated to push for snaps at tight end, somewhere behind Greg Olsen and alongside vets like Will Dissly, Luke Willson, and Jacob Hollister. No one expected the Seahawks to draft a TE in April, but they saw real potential in Parkinson and couldn’t pass him up. Also, Parkinson offered insurance against Olsen’s age and the medical history of the rest of the bunch.

The Seahawks will probably start the year without the safety net of Parkinson, but he should be able to suit up this year. Beyond that, he could be ticketed for a prime role – Olsen, Hollister, and Willson are all set for free agency after the 2020 season and no one would be surprised if Olsen made this his last NFL campaign.

Parkinson put himself on the map at Stanford with a strong 2018 and seven touchdowns. Last year, he set new career bests with 48 grabs for 589 yards, though he only scored once.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Chiefs, 49ers, Cowboys Among Teams On Jamal Adams’ Preferred Destination List

Jamal Adams has made an official trade request, and although the Jets have yet to grant it, the All-Pro safety has formed a list of teams he would be fine with joining.

Both of the Super Bowl LIV participants — the Chiefs and 49ers — headline the list. The Cowboys — who submitted an offer for Adams last October — are also included among a seven-team contingent that features the Ravens, Eagles, Texans and Seahawks, Adam Schefter of ESPN.com tweets.

The Cowboys are the only team on this list that did not qualify for the playoffs last season. Adams, however, is a Texas native. Dallas offered a first-rounder and a Day 3 choice for the Jets standout last year.

As of now, the Jets are not prepared to trade Adams. But the safety may be more amenable to playing the fourth year of his rookie contract with one of the seven teams on this trade wish list than he is with the Jets, who have not made the playoffs since 2010.

The Jets are taking their time on extension talks for their top player, but with Adams signed through 2021 via the fifth-year option, that is not exactly uncommon. Teams often slow-play extensions for former first-rounders because of the option, but Adams is attempting to force the issue.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

NFC East Notes: Cowboys, Elliott, Eagles, Hyde

Ezekiel Elliott is not experiencing any complications after testing positive for COVID-19 (via David Moore of the Dallas Morning News). Assuming Elliott stays healthy and largely symptom-free, that should bode well for the Cowboys‘ star running back in the long haul.

Earlier this week, Elliott was one of four players (two from the Cowboys, two from the Texans) to test positive for the coronavirus. Other players are being tested as a precaution, but no additional positive cases have emerged from either club. Furthermore, quarterback Dak Prescott did not test positive, despite hosting a widely-criticized birthday party earlier this year.

Here’s more from the NFC East: