Because most NFL coaching changes happen in January, those moves can often be overshadowed by the postseason and – subsequently – the major moves that teams makes in free agency. However, those coaching changes shouldn’t be overlooked.
A year ago, 24 of the league’s 32 teams made changes to at least one of their head coach, offensive coordinator, or defensive coordinator spots, and many of those hirings turned into major stories throughout the 2018 season. New head coaches Matt Nagy and Frank Reich led the Bears and Colts, respectively, to the postseason during their first go-rounds in charge, while new Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur leveraged his one-year stint as a play-caller to become the next Packers head coach.
Which new coaches could make a similar impact this year? We may have to wait to find out, but there are certainly plenty of candidates. The full breakdown of 2019’s major coaching changes from around the league is below:
- Arizona Cardinals: Hired Kliff Kingsbury to replace Steve Wilks.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Hired Zac Taylor to replace Marvin Lewis.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Freddie Kitchens to replace Hue Jackson / Gregg Williams (interim).
- Denver Broncos: Hired Vic Fangio to replace Vance Joseph.
- Green Bay Packers: Hired Matt LaFleur to replace Mike McCarthy / Joe Philbin (interim).
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Brian Flores to replace Adam Gase.
- New York Jets: Hired Adam Gase to replace Todd Bowles.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Bruce Arians to replace Dirk Koetter.
- Arizona Cardinals: Will not hire an OC to replace Mike McCoy / Byron Leftwich (interim).
- Atlanta Falcons: Hired Dirk Koetter to replace Steve Sarkisian.
- Baltimore Ravens: Promoted Greg Roman to replace Marty Mornhinweg.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Hired Brian Callahan to replace Bill Lazor.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Todd Monken to replace Freddie Kitchens.
- Dallas Cowboys: Promoted Kellen Moore to replace Scott Linehan.
- Denver Broncos: Hired Rich Scangarello to replace Bill Musgrave.
- Detroit Lions: Hired Darrell Bevell to replace Jim Bob Cooter.
- Green Bay Packers: Hired Nathaniel Hackett to replace Joe Philbin.
- Houston Texans: Promoted Tim Kelly to fill vacant position.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Hired John DeFilippo to replace Scott Milanovich.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Chad O’Shea to replace Dowell Loggains.
- Minnesota Vikings: Retained interim OC Kevin Stefanski to replace John DeFilippo.
- New York Jets: Hired Dowell Loggains to replace Jeremy Bates.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Byron Leftwich as pass game coordinator/play-caller to replace Todd Monken.
- Tennessee Titans: Promoted Arthur Smith to replace Matt LaFleur.
- Washington Redskins: Promoted Kevin O’Connell to replace Matt Cavanaugh.
- Arizona Cardinals: Hired Vance Joseph to replace Al Holcomb.
- Atlanta Falcons: Will not hire a DC to replace Marquand Manuel.
- Chicago Bears: Hired Chuck Pagano to replace Vic Fangio.
- Cincinnati Bengals: Hired Lou Anarumo to replace Teryl Austin / Marvin Lewis (interim).
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Steve Wilks to replace Gregg Williams.
- Denver Broncos: Hired Ed Donatell to replace Joe Woods.
- Kansas City Chiefs: Hired Steve Spagnuolo to replace Bob Sutton.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Patrick Graham to replace Matt Burke.
- New England Patriots: Will hire Greg Schiano to replace Brian Flores.
- New York Jets: Hired Gregg Williams to replace Kacy Rodgers.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Todd Bowles to replace Mike Smith / Mark Duffner (interim).
Special teams coordinators:
- Atlanta Falcons: Hired Ben Kotwica to replace Keith Armstrong.
- Buffalo Bills: Hired Heath Farwell to replace Danny Crossman.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired Mike Priefer to replace Amos Jones.
- Detroit Lions: Hired John Bonamego to replace Joe Marciano.
- Green Bay Packers: Hired Shawn Mennenga to replace Ron Zook.
- Miami Dolphins: Hired Danny Crossman to replace Darren Rizzi.
- Minnesota Vikings: Hired Marwan Maalouf to replace Mike Priefer.
- New Orleans Saints: Hired Darren Rizzi to replace Bradford Banta / Mike Westhoff.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired Keith Armstrong to replace Nate Kaczor.
- Washington Redskins: Hire Nate Kaczor to replace Ben Kotwica.
Other 2018 OCs, DCs with new jobs:
- Atlanta Falcons: Hired former Chiefs DC Bob Sutton as a senior assistant.
- Cleveland Browns: Hired former Cardinals DC Al Holcomb as run game coordinator/linebackers coach.
- New York Jets: Hired former Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter as running backs coach.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Hired former Dolphins DC Matt Burke as a defensive assistant.
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Hired former Bengals DC Teryl Austin as a senior defensive assistant/secondary.
- San Francisco 49ers: Hired former Broncos DC Joe Woods as passing game coordinator/defensive backs coach.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Hired former Jets DC Kacy Rodgers as defensive line coach.
- Washington Redskins: Re-assigned former OC Matt Cavanaugh as a senior offensive assistant.