As the coordinator carousel continues to spin, a number of teams have already filled their OC and DC vacancies. The Giants do not need to concern themselves with the former, having blocked Mike Kafka from interviewing for a lateral Seahawks move. The latter position remains unfilled, however.
Don Martindale initially appeared to be set for a third campaign in New York, but he and the Giants ultimately parted ways. New York has been looking for a replacement ever since, and general manager Joe Schoen said he hoped the team would have a hire in place by the end of last week. That has yet to take place, in part because desired candidates have wound up elsewhere.
ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reports the Giants have recently witnessed two of their “top targets” come and go. That has resulted in a reset in their search, with a number of other candidates under consideration. Two staffers (Bobby Babich and Dennard Wilson) are among those who received Giants interview requests and have since been promoted or hired to a different DC posting. It is unclear if those two are the coaches referenced in the report, but in any case New York remains a team to watch over the coming days.
As Raanan notes, Giants head coach Brian Daboll enters the 2024 season with considerable pressure given the way in which the team underwhelmed in his second year at the helm. He and Kafka will remain in their current postings for at least one more year (although the matter of play-calling remains unsettled at this point). Martindale’s replacement will be tasked with guiding a unit which ranked 17th and 26th in points allowed over the past two years. The relatively uncertain future of Daboll could lead to trepidation on the part of interested DC candidates, though.
With New York’s search set to enter a new phase, here is how things currently stand:
- Derrick Ansley, defensive coordinator (Chargers): Interview requested
- Bobby Babich, linebackers coach (Bills): Interview requested; promoted to Bills DC
- Shane Bowen, defensive coordinator (Titans): Interviewed
- Anthony Campanile, linebackers coach (Dolphins): Interview requested
- Brendan Daly, linebackers coach (Chiefs): Interviewed
- Ejiro Evero, defensive coordinator (Panthers): Interview blocked
- Daronte Jones, defensive pass game coordinator (Vikings): Interviewed
- Dennard Wilson, defensive backs coach (Ravens): To conduct second interview; hired as Titans DC