We’ve been keeping track of team’s official undrafted free agent signings (today we had signings by the Jets, Bears and Colts). Considering the number of prospects available, team’s will also invite players to their rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.
There have been a handful of successful players who had to initially audition for teams, including Hall of Famers Night Train Lane and Marion Motley. Of course, it’s very unlikely for a player to overcome such adversity, but the signings are still notable.
Below is a list of players who will be brought in for mini tryouts, most coming from The Baltimore Sun’s Aaron Wilson:
- Cowboys invited Citadel defensive back Brandon McCladdie (Twitter).
- Redskins invited Maine outside linebacker Michael Cole (Twitter).
- Giants invited East Carolina strong safety Chip Thompson (Twitter).
- Raiders invited Central Washington guard Mike Nelson (Twitter).
- Raiders invited Memphis defensive tackle Johnnie Farms (Twitter).
- Packers invited Oklahoma State linebacker Shaun Lewis and Memphis quarterback Jacob Karam (via Twitter of Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Silverstein).