Let’s take a look at some assorted notes from around the league as we wrap up this Saturday evening…
- While linebacker Jonathan Newsome has established himself this season with 4.5 sacks and eight quarterback hits, Mike Wells of ESPN.com says the Colts should still focus on selecting a pass-rusher in this year’s draft.
- Ravens rookie Timmy Jernigan has played well recently, and Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com writes that the defensive end’s play over the final two weeks may determine whether the team keeps Haloti Ngata. Baltimore can clear $8.5MM by releasing the former Pro Bowler.
- Chargers wideout Eddie Royal caught his 50th pass of the season during the first quarter of tonight’s matchup against the 49ers, activating a $500K bonus (via Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego on Twitter).
- Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News believes the Jets need a “culture change,” and the writer suggest owner Woody Johnson steals two members of a rival organization: Patriots player personnel director Nick Caserio and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.
- As Black Monday approaches, Bob McManaman of AZCentral.com compiles a list of coaches who shouldn’t be comfortable with their job security: Jim Harbaugh (49ers), Marc Trestman (Bears), Tony Sparano (Raiders), Rex Ryan (Jets), Joe Philbin (Dolphins), Jay Gruden (Washington), Tom Coughlin (Giants), Mike Smith (Falcons), Ron Rivera (Panthers), Gus Bradley (Jaguars) and Ken Whisenhunt (Titans).