A year ago, no free agent received more fully guaranteed money than the $20MM offensive tackle Branden Albert got from the Dolphins. However, this time around, several big-name players blew by that threshold, with eight players in total matching or surpassing $20MM in fully guaranteed money, per Over The Cap. Here’s the full list of those signees, along with the terms of their new deals:
- Ndamukong Suh, DT (Dolphins): Six years, $114.375MM. $59.955MM guaranteed.
- Darrelle Revis, CB (Jets): Five years, $70MM. $39MM guaranteed.
- Charles Clay, TE (Bills): Five years, $38MM. $24.5MM guaranteed.
- Jeremy Maclin, WR (Chiefs): Five years, $55MM. $22.5MM guaranteed.
- Byron Maxwell, CB (Eagles): Six years, $63MM. $22MM guaranteed.
- Devin McCourty, S (Patriots): Five years, $47.5MM. $22MM guaranteed.
- Julius Thomas, TE (Jaguars): Five years, $46MM. $21MM guaranteed.
- Kareem Jackson, CB (Texans): Four years, $34MM. $20MM guaranteed.
We’ll take a closer look in the coming weeks at how exactly these contracts stack up against one another, and which players made out the best, but for now, we’re just concerned with evaluating which teams made the best and worst decisions among this group.
What do you think? Is the $60MM in guaranteed salary for Suh a mistake for the Dolphins, or does his talent ensure that he’ll be well worth the money? Perhaps one of the other players on the list represents a more worthwhile investment for his team? Which of these players was the best major free agent signing of the offseason? Cast your vote below and let us know your thoughts in the comments section.