SATURDAY, 5:55pm: In an unexpected turn of events, it appears the Chargers will retain McCoy, according to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune. The Chargers’ hierarchy is confident in McCoy, per Gehlken, and president of football operations John Spanos will make a final decision Monday. Spanos, Telesco and McCoy have a good working relationship, Gehlken notes. That should help McCoy’s chances. Moreover, he has the support of franchise quarterback Philip Rivers.
“Mike’s not the problem,” Rivers said Friday. “It’s not like, ‘Oh, if it was another head coach who wasn’t Mike, this team would’ve done that.’ Nah. That’s crazy. That’s a crazy assessment.”
FRIDAY, 8:40pm: Sunday’s game in Denver will be Mike McCoy‘s last as the head coach of the Chargers, multiple sources have told Alex Marvez of Fox Sports (Twitter link).
Until now, reports regarding McCoy’s lack of job security have only come in sporadically. In November, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote that general manager Tom Telesco would remain with the Chargers and, if changes were going to be made in the offseason, they’d happen on the coaching staff. The first part has proven true, as CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora revealed earlier this month that Telesco was safe after signing a multiyear extension with the Chargers during the summer. Similar to Acee, La Canfora also noted that McCoy was on the hot seat.
McCoy, who joined the Chargers in 2013 with Telesco, helped the Bolts to consecutive winning campaigns (including a playoff appearance and a victory in ’13) in his first two years, but the team has taken a significant step back this season. The Chargers enter Sunday at 4-11, guaranteeing McCoy a sub-.500 mark (22-25) if his tenure with the club ends.