Falcons Unlikely To Re-Sign Dontari Poe

After one year in Atlanta, it sounds like Dontari Poe will be moving on. Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff told reporters on Wednesday that the two-time Pro Bowler is unlikely to be re-signed. Dontari Poe (Vertical)

Did a heck of a job for us this year,” Dimitroff said (Twitter link via ESPN.com’s Vaughn McClure). “We really liked his impact for us — especially in the run game — understanding that it may be a one-year deal. We’re in a spot right now where there’s a very good chance that he’s going to go to free agency and land a very lucrative deal. So we appreciate what he has done with us.”

Poe joined the Falcons on a one-year, $8MM contract last season when the market did not yield the kind of big money long-term offers that he expected. Poe did well in that platform year as he registered 39 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and graded out as the No. 35 interior defender in the NFL, per Pro Football Focus’ advanced metrics. Those aren’t superstar numbers, but the big knock against Poe last year was that his lingering back issues might slow him down. Now that he has missed only two games over the course of his six-year career – and none over the last two years – teams may be willing to make a lengthier commitment to him.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

View Comments (2)
newest oldest

2 comments on “Falcons Unlikely To Re-Sign Dontari Poe

Leave a Reply