Former Florida wide receiver Antonio Callaway tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter (on Twitter). Callaway’s new agent, Malki Kawa, has said the positive test was due to a diluted sample.
Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (on Twitter) added that Callaway said he was over-hydrated at the combine and that he will address the positive test with teams.
In terms of talent, Callaway is one of the top receivers slated to be available in this week’s draft. But this is far from his first off-the-field incident that might keep teams from picking him until Day 3 of the draft, if at all. While at Florida, he was cleared of a sexual assault allegation but didn’t do himself any favors at his Title IX hearing, saying he was too “stoned” to have intercourse.
Callaway was also charged with two third-degree felonies for his involvement in a credit card scam while at Florida. He was suspended from Florida’s team for all of last season. NFL.com’s Tom Pelissero reported on Friday that Callaway had already been completely taken off the draft board of three teams.
Pelissero also reported that Florida had privately told teams in the Southeast to steer clear of Callaway, as he needed to get as far away from South Florida as possible. Some NFL teams still believe he can turn things around and have a positive impact on the field, though.
“He’s not a bad kid, either. He’s just been around a lot of trouble,” an AFC scout told Pelissero. “And he admits to the fact that trouble finds him. He just hangs with the wrong people. It’s a shame, because he’s ridiculously talented.”