Chargers Won’t Re-Sign Philip Rivers

On Monday, the Chargers announced that they will not bring back Philip Rivers for the 2020 season. With that, Rivers will move on to free agency where he’ll seek another team for his 17th year a a pro.

[RELATED: Eric Weddle Retires From NFL]

After stepping back a bit from last season, we reconnected with Philip and his representatives to look at how 2019 played out, assess our future goals, evaluate the current state of the roster and see if there was a path forward that made sense for both parties,” said General Manager Tom Telesco in a press release. “As we talked through various scenarios, it became apparent that it would be best for Philip and the Chargers to turn the page on what has truly been a remarkable run.”

Rivers will leave the club after setting more than 30 franchise records and 224 consecutive starts. For his part, the eight-time Pro Bowler says there are no hard feelings as he leaves the only NFL franchise he’s ever known.

I am very grateful to the Spanos family and the Chargers organization for the last 16 years,” said Rivers. “In anything you do, it’s the people you do it with that make it special. There are so many relationships and memories with coaches, support staff and teammates that will last forever, and for that I am so thankful. I never took for granted the opportunity to lead this team out on to the field for 235 games. We had a lot of great moments, beginning in San Diego and then finishing in LA. I wish my teammates and coaches nothing but the best moving forward.”

Many of Rivers’ career numbers also stand as league-wide benchmarks. With 123 career wins in the regular season, he’s ninth among QBs on the all-time list, ahead of names like Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana. He’s also one of just six quarterbacks to have thrown for more than 58,000 passing yards.

But, in the NFL, you’re only as good as your last season, and executives are always thinking one, two, and three years ahead. Rivers’ 2019 season was marred by turnovers – he was picked off 20 times and his 23 touchdowns weren’t nearly enough to erase those INTs. Historically, though, Rivers has been strong in that department. In 2018, for example, he lobbed 32 TDs against just 12 interceptions.

Rivers will join a potentially crowded field of free agent quarterbacks in March. Tom Brady, Ryan Tannehill, and Teddy Bridgewater are just some of the other names that could be available for teams in need. The Chargers could consider those options alongside this year’s crop of quarterback prospects in the draft, or turn the starting job over to backup Tyrod Taylor. Meanwhile, with Rivers out of the picture, they may use the franchise tag to hang on to tight end Hunter Henry.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

View Comments (23)
newest oldest

23 comments on “Chargers Won’t Re-Sign Philip Rivers

    • ruckus727

      I think he’s got something Already lined up. Perhaps a joining with Arians in TB. Maybe that’s why he relocated there. Though I think Indy will make a push.

    • nick effing punto

      Yes. He was pretty awful last year. Just watching him play you could see him miss throws and make per decisions constantly

  1. mlevon24

    He’s going to retire because of his pride. He’ll get offers as a backup on a 1 or 2 year deal. But because he thinks he’s a starter, he’ll retire because he won’t get any starting job offers

  2. Thronson5

    I think he goes to Indi but can see the Bucs as a landing spot. One of those are the two Id bet on. I see Brady going to the Chargers unless they trade for Cam then I see Brady going to one of those two teams I mentioned for Rivers. Gonna be an interesting offseason

    • Brady is not going anywhere. The Patriots have no plan in place unless they’re the ones who get Rivers.

  3. crosseyedlemon

    How long will it take Mike Florio to report that Eli Manning will be joining the Chargers?

  4. phillyballers

    Honestly… A lot of the FA QBs make more sense, dollar and cents wise, than DAK. Draft a QB each year if you have to… it’s better than paying 30-40M and the team going down the drain. Can’t win with hik making 450k, cant win with him making 40M.

  5. mhdunbar99

    Soon you will need to electron microscope to find fans of the homeless Chargers. The Spanos family will have soon completed the impossible journey of making an NFL team completely irrelevant.

  6. Ironman_4life

    I know that every year they have “their” guy but what about the Broncos?

  7. hoosierhysteria

    If he doesn’t lower his salary expectations, he will go fishing. He wanted $12m/4 years from chargers…they said no…thankfully. I broke 3 tv this year watching him throw pix in the end zone. Enuff already. Keep hunter Henry for sure. TT can play…doesn’t worry me. He was a mobile QB before it was cool. Skip the Oregon QB…don’t waste that 1st round pick on a player that sits on bench.

Leave a Reply