It appears the Navy is reversing course. US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin will apparently allow a waiver for cornerback Cameron Kinley to sign with the Buccaneers and attend Tampa’s training camp, an official told Lucas Tomlinson of Fox News.
Tomlinson reports that an official announcement from the Pentagon will come soon. Kinley had previously been denied a waiver to delay his service commitment, putting the Naval Academy star’s NFL dream on ice. Kinley said at the time he wasn’t giving up on his pro football dream, and it sounds like he won’t have to wait very long. The defensive back appeared to confirm the news earlier Tuesday, tweeting out ‘God’s Plan.’
“Cameron Kinley is an exceptional young man and a shining example of the type of high-character individuals that make our nation’s military the most elite in the world,” the Buccaneers said in a statement at the time of the initial waiver denial. “We appreciate and support the United States Naval Academy’s position with regards to Cameron’s fulfillment of his post-graduate service commitment and remain hopeful that he will one day have an opportunity to also fulfill his dreams of playing professional football.”
That day appears to be coming shortly. Bucs training camp will open in a little over two weeks, on July 24th. Last season Kinley had 26 tackles, five passes defended, and an interception in eight games.