Kevin O’Connell‘s focus over the next two weeks will be on the Cincinnati Bengals, but the Rams offensive coordinator carved out some time for an interview today. According to Aaron Wilson of ProFootballNetwork.com, O’Connell had his second interview with the Texans on Monday.
We heard earlier this month that Houston had requested permission to speak with O’Connell, but as Wilson notes, the Texans never publicly confirmed the first interview. That first interview presumably took place over the past few weeks.
O’Connell, who spent the 2019 season as Washington’s OC before joining the Rams in that capacity in 2020, oversaw an offense that finished in the top-10 in terms of both points per game and yards per game in 2021. A member of the popular Sean McVay coaching tree, O’Connell was a finalist for the Broncos’ HC job that ultimately went to Nathaniel Hackett, and the Jaguars also want to sit down with O’Connell.
The current list of candidates for the Texans HC vacancy includes:
- Brian Flores, former head coach (Dolphins): Conducted second interview 1/31
- Jonathan Gannon, defensive coordinator (Eagles): Conducted second interview 1/29
- Joe Lombardi, offensive coordinator (Chargers): Interviewed 1/15
- Jerod Mayo, linebackers coach (Patriots): Mentioned as candidate
- Josh McCown, longtime NFL QB: Conducted second interview 1/28
- Kevin O’Connell, offensive coordinator (Rams): Interviewed 1/31
- Hines Ward, wide receivers coach (Florida Atlantic): Interviewed 1/15