After rounding up a week’s worth of DeSean Jackson rumors on Saturday night, we passed along a couple more stories on the standout trade candidate yesterday. Jackson figures to be a popular topic at this week’s NFL meetings in Orlando, so it’s no surprise that there are already a few more updates and notes on the Eagles receiver to recap. We’ll track today’s Jackson news and rumors right here, adding the latest items to the top of the page throughout the day:
- A source close to the team confirms to Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com confirms that the Eagles made the decision to try to move on from Jackson at least a month ago, rather than in the last couple weeks.
- Although he cautions that there are mixed reports galore on the Jackson front, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk says the latest buzz he’s heard in Orlando suggests the 49ers have interest – despite an on-the-record denial – and that the Seahawks would have interest at a significantly lower cost than Jackson’s current salary.
- Jeff McLane (Twitter link) spoke to one NFL coach who has no interest in Jackson, since the coach believes the Eagles‘ apparent willingness to move the receiver means there “has to be something there we don’t know.”
- Jets owner Woody Johnson confirmed yesterday that his team has interest in Jackson, but Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link) notes Johnson also said that a trade’s “not our primary operating motif.”
- Examining Johnson’s comments, Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News have each published new stories on the Jackson situation. McLane writes that the team has been “actively shopping” the star receiver since at least last week, while Bowen hears from a front office source on a rival team that the Eagles “wanted a lot” for Jackson when they discussed him last month. At that point, Philadelphia was allegedly seeking more than a second-round pick, but another NFL source who spoke to Bowen now wonders if the Eagles can land more than a fifth- or sixth-rounder.
- The Raiders have interest in Jackson, but may not be inclined to part with a 2014 draft pick for him, tweets Rapoport.
- Among the teams not in the mix for Jackson: The Seahawks and Panthers. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk hears from a source that Seattle has “no interest at all” in the 27-year-old, while David Newton of ESPN.com reiterates that Jackson isn’t a fit in Carolina, despite the team’s thin receiving corps.
- Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News recognizes why a Jackson trade could make sense for the Eagles, but doesn’t see the logic in releasing him unless there’s a serious non-football issue we haven’t heard about.