The two New York teams appear to be the top contenders for free agent cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, but Rich Cimini of ESPN New York gets the sense that the Jets may be losing hope on the DRC front (Twitter link). That’s not to say the Giants should start printing Rodgers-Cromartie jerseys quite yet, since the Browns are rumored to be lurking as well, but it looks like the G-Men might have the upper hand on their AFC rivals.
Here’s more on a few free agents still on the market:
- The Jets continue to talk to offensive lineman Willie Colon in the hopes of working out a deal to bring him back to New York, tweets Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com. The club has also shown interest in free agent receiver Jacoby Ford, says Brian Costello of the New York Post (via Twitter).
- The free agent swap meet between the Raiders and Giants continues, as offensive lineman Kevin Boothe is in Oakland to visit the Raiders today, according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports (via Twitter).
- Defensive end Robert Ayers will visit the Bengals tomorrow, tweets Garafolo.
- The Vikings remain in contact with free agent defensive tackle Henry Melton, tweets Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities. Melton is visiting the Cowboys today.
- While the Dolphins have made preliminary inquiries on free agent offensive lineman Ryan Harris, the team has yet to set up a visit with the ex-Texan, tweets Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald.
- Free agent guard Travelle Wharton has no plans to retire at this point, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun (via Twitter). Wharton has spent nearly his entire NFL career with the Panthers, who have seen Jordan Gross and Geoff Hangartner retire so far this offseason.
- Free agent cornerback Mike Jenkins is visiting the Buccaneers today, a source tells Rand Getlin of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter link).