So, it’s come to this. Late last night, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News wrote out a mini-play in which he imagined a conversation between Jets head coach Rex Ryan and GM John Idzik. While you petition your local theater to adapt it for a two-week run, here’s more out of New York….
- Earlier this year, Ryan was nothing short of cocky when asked about whether he was focusing in on the Patriots. Four months later, Ryan has no choice but to worry about the Pats as Gang Green could be on the verge of a lost season, writes Brian Costello of the New York Post.
- We might never know how good a head coach Ryan can be until he gets a top-flight quarterback, writes George Willis of the New York Post. Still, he can always make a good living as a defensive coordinator. After that, Willis writes, Ryan can find a home as a TV personality where he can finally tell the world what he thinks about John Idzik‘s 2014 draft and Jets owner Woody Johnson leaving $21MM of cap space unused.
- Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News doesn’t think Ryan would have to settle for being someone’s defensive coordinator or become a TV talking head if he’s fired by the Jets. Lupica believes Ryan would instantly get another head coaching job elsewhere in the NFL.
- Wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who is on the Jets’ practice squad, has had the domestic violence charges against him dismissed, as Costello details in a story for the New York Post.
- Within his look at some of the offseason’s biggest free agent signings, Lorenzo Reyes of USA Today writes that the Jets probably overpaid Eric Decker. However, as Reyes observes, there’s “no question” the former Bronco would be producing more consistently if he were healthier and the Jets were getting stronger play at quarterback.
Luke Adams contributed to this post.