There’s been plenty of speculation linking deposed Broncos coach John Fox to the Bears vacancy, and now a source tells Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune that Fox would indeed have some interest in coaching in Chicago. As previously noted, Fox has a personal relationship with Bears advisor Ernie Accorsi, and shares a mutual friend in Saints head coach Sean Payton with new Chicago GM Ryan Pace. Here are some more notes from around the league:
- Although Fox will probably be a candidate for the Bears job, don’t expect him to enter into the Falcons’ pool of options, tweets Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, who notes that Atlanta is already well along in its coaching search. We’ve heard previously that the Falcons are focusing on defensive coaches, and have zeroed in on Todd Bowles.
- Sad news from the college front, as Rand Getlin of Yahoo! Sports reports (Twitter link) that Texas A&M tackle Cedric Ogbuehi has tore his ACL in the Liberty Bowl on December 29. Ogbuehi was projected to be among the best lineman available — ESPN’s Todd McShay had him going No. 11 in his most recent mock draft. Needless to say, this injury will likely push him down draft boards.
- Jay-Z’s Roc Nation Sports has signed Georgia running back Todd Gurley as a client, according to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com (via Twitter). It’ll just be Roc Nation representing the standout tailback, not a split with CAA. Ari Nissim will be the lead agent for Gurley (link).
- After the Colts‘ playoff victory over the Broncos, Indianapolis owner Jim Irsay took the opportunity to gloat a little bit. “I knew it was the right thing to do for the Colts,” Irsay said of his decision years ago to move on from Peyton Manning and replace him with top pick Andrew Luck (via ESPN.com).
- The Titans should look to hire Dick LeBeau as a consultant, opines Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, who argues that the veteran DC could help the club in its second year as a 3-4 unit.
Zach Links contributed to this post.