Scot McCloughan has been putting his stamp on Washington’s roster since he took over as the team’s general manager in January. That’s not going to stop anytime soon, according to Tarik El-Bashir of CSNWashington.com (video link). McCloughan didn’t draft a single one of Washington’s players, which means he has no built-in loyalty toward those individuals and could look to replace anyone on the roster, per El-Bashir. One of those players is quarterback Robert Griffin III, whose future in Washington beyond next season is nebulous. RGIII has a player option for 2016 worth over $16MM, and El-Bashir speculates that Washington is either still discussing what to do with that option or has decided not to pick it up. The club has until May 3 to make its decision known.
Let’s take a further look at the most recent news regarding Washington and one of its NFC East rivals:
- Washington used a 2014 second-round pick on outside linebacker Trent Murphy, who had just 2.5 sacks as a rookie. Now there’s speculation that Washington will spend another high selection on an outside linebacker this year, perhaps its first-rounder (fifth overall). Despite that, head coach Jay Gruden still believes in the 24-year-old Murphy, writes El-Bashir. “He’s very young up top, his frame, and he’s going get a lot stronger,” said Gruden. “He’s got the hands. He’s got the hips. He’s got the flexibility to be an effective pass rusher.”
- Pittsburg State cornerback De’Vante Bausby is an unheralded draft prospect to keep an eye on for Washington, El-Bashir tweeted. Washington attended his pro day Thursday.
- The Cowboys’ pass defense ranked 26th in the NFL last season, but Bob Sturm of the Dallas Morning News reports that the team hasn’t hosted any cornerback prospects as the draft nears. The Cowboys have instead focused on running backs and linemen.
- Speaking of Dallas’ corners, Sturm took a look at Brandon Carr‘s situation. Carr’s agent said earlier this week that the 28-year-old is not going to take a pay cut for 2015, when he’s due to count $12.7MM against the salary cap, which means Dallas could eventually cut him loose. Doing so after June 1 would save the Cowboys $8MM on next season’s cap. However, Sturm thinks Carr will ultimately stick around at a reduced rate – perhaps with the help of a contract extension – as the Cowboys aren’t in position to find another corner to adequately replace the seven-year veteran and the 1,000-plus downs he’ll play in 2015.