Earlier today, quarterback Cam Newton officially inked a contract that will keep him with the Panthers through the 2020 season. Carolina is thrilled to have its franchise quarterback locked up and Newton is also excited to have the deal done. When asked how he’s going to celebrate tonight, Newton told reporters, including Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer (on Twitter), that he’s going to enjoy some Lucky Charms and some milk. Here’s more on Newton’s new deal..
- Panthers GM Dave Gettleman says that his team has been very deliberate in getting finances in order so that he could pay Cam Newton and build around him, David Newton of ESPN.com tweets. In recent years, Gettleman cut high-priced veterans such as Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams in favor of low-cost free agents.
- Gettleman believes that Newton will take the team “to the promised land” that is the Super Bowl, David Newton tweets.
- The quarterback told reporters, including Person (on Twitter), that the contract won’t change his approach to the game, though he said he will be more mindful of the hits he takes.
- Gettleman said it took eleven days to get a deal done, Person tweets. The GM sent his first proposal to agent Bus Cook four days before the Ryan Tannehill deal was done.
- Panthers coach Ron Rivera said it was important to make sure that Newton knew the Panthers were committed to him, David Newton tweets.