Justin Hunter Updates: Tuesday

Having allegedly been involved in a bar fight over the Fourth of July weekend earlier this month, Titans wide receiver Justin Hunter was arrested in Virginia on reported allegations of “malicious intent.” The Titans issued a brief statement yesterday, indicating that the team was aware of the situation and was still in fact-gathering mode.

While Tennessee continues to gather facts, more details of Hunter’s situation are emerging. We’ll round up Tuesday’s updates in this space, with any additional news added to the top of the page throughout the day:

  • The Titans will let the legal process play out, Ed Werder of ESPN.com tweets. Hunter can be expected to take part when training camp opens despite his arrest for felony assault, Werder’s source indicates.
  • Hunter’s attorneys have released a statement (via Terry McCormick of TitanInsider.com on Twitter): “Justin has been released on $25k bond with normal and reasonable conditions. Based upon all the factors that the court must consider, including prior history and character, strength of the case, and risk of flight, the judge recognized that bond was appropriate. We look forward to vigorously defending the allegations.”
  • After appearing in court today, Hunter was released on a $25K bond and was placed under a curfew, writes Brock Vergakis of The Associated Press. Per Vergakis, Hunter was charged with malicious wounding.
  • During today’s arraignment, prosecutors said that Hunter started a fight on July 3 by punching a man in the face twice, writes Vergakis. According to prosecutors, after the bar was cleared, Hunter punched the man again while he was bent over spitting out blood on the sidewalk. The man allegedly had a broken jaw as a result of the assault.

Earlier updates:

  • The victim in the fight that led to Hunter’s arrest was admitted to the hospital with apparent broken bones, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link), who cites Virginia police. Rapoport adds in a second tweet that Hunter’s “weapon” was his fists.
  • The victim that pressed charges against Hunter sustained “serious, but not life-threatening” injuries during the brawl inside the Sandbar Raw Bar on July 3, a Virginia Beach police officer tells Terry McCormick of 247Sports.com.
  • Having turned himself in on Monday, Hunter was booked and held overnight without bond, though bond will likely be set in the case today, writes McCormick. The wideout is scheduled to appear this afternoon in a Virginia courtroom for arraignment on a felonious assault charge.
  • During today’s court appearance, Hunter’s next court date will also be set — that date should be about six weeks from now, says McCormick.
View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply