Peter King of The MMQB offered up a behind-the-scenes look at Olivier Vernon‘s record-breaking contract with the Giants. Agent David Canter tells King that, in addition to dollars, the defensive end was insistent on signing for five years rather than six. Both the Giants and Jets wanted to give Vernon a five-year deal, but the Jaguars were looking to sign Vernon for six. Canter and Vernon only wanted a five-year deal, however, so that he could cash in one more time at the age of 30.
Here are the latest free agent rumors:
- Washington has some interest in free safety Reggie Nelson, Mike Jones of The Washington Post tweets. The tenth-year veteran had 77 tackles and a league-leading 8 interceptions last year for Cincinnati. Nelson placed No. 41 on our Top 50 NFL Free Agents List. While he had a strong 2015, his earning power is somewhat limited as he enters his age-33 season.
- The Eagles and cornerback Nolan Carroll haven’t been able to get on the same page and as of right now, it seems like he could be headed elsewhere, Tim McManus of The Fanatic (on Twitter). The rival Cowboys, he adds, are a team to watch.
- At least six teams had interest in new Eagles quarterback Chase Daniel before he signed, Adam Caplan of ESPN.com tweets. Now with Philly, Daniel is reunited with Doug Pederson, who was his offensive coordinator in Kansas City
- The Giants have had discussions with former Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson and numbers have been exchanged, Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports tweets. However, there’s no deal there yet.
- Jermon Bushrod isn’t scheduled to visit the Vikings right now, but the team is monitoring his recovery from surgery, Ben Goessling of ESPN.com tweets.